Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Middlesbrough 3-1 Forest

1 April 2019

Middlesbrough came from behind on Sunday afternoon to condemn Nottingham Forest to a 3-1 loss on the road.

Grace Walters had put The Reds ahead after only 15 minutes but the home side proved to be the better side across the course of the game as they sealed the win and all three points in the second half.

Boro started the game the better of the two sides and came close to open the scoring inside the first 10 minutes. A brilliant high cross came flying into the Forest box that landed at Emily Scarr who hit her shot first time but it was straight at Emily Hallam who made the save.

The Reds then grew into the game and were gifted a perfect opportunity to go ahead. Lyndsey Harkin hit a great free kick into the box that found Helena Constantinou at the far post who put the ball back across the face of goal. Precious Hamilton was waiting for the ball freely yards away from the goal line but she somehow steered her header over the goal.

Harkin stepped over another free kick minutes later but this time tested her own luck in front of goal. The captain smashed her free kick towards the target but the 'keeper got down to put the effort around her goal post.

The resulting corner kick proved crucial as Walters put The Reds in the driving seat on the 15th minute. Constantinou sent a troubling corner kick deep into the Boro box that the home side failed to deal with. Several gold shirts made a punt for the ball but it was Walters who was on hand to ensure it crossed the line.

The Reds should have doubled their lead three minutes later as Hamilton came close, again. Ashleigh Edwards broke into the Boro half and fed a well-timed pass through to Hamilton who hit a first time shot from 20 yards out but the 'keeper did superbly well to divert it over the crossbar.

The home side then began their search for the equaliser and were gifted a chance through Tyler Dodds as she skipped past a couple of Forest shirts and broke free into The Reds' box but Georgia Hewitt recovered quickly and got down to make a perfect, well-timed tackle.

The Reds should have doubled their lead in the 36th minute but were denied by the wood work. Constantinou picked up the ball inside the Boro half and charged towards the box, she then rifled a shot at goal from distance but it came crashing back of the cross bar.

Forest's missed chances proved costly as the home side drew level six minutes from half time. Scarr, who had troubled The Reds heavily, smashed a strong effort from over 20 yards out that flew over Hallam and snuck underneath the cross bar.

Boro came out hunting for all three points in the second half and they went ahead only three minutes in. Scarr grabbed her brace as she beat the Forest defence and drilled a shot past Hallam that nestled in the bottom left-hand corner from just inside the box.

Hamilton continued to be a threat for Forest as she had an opportunity in front of goal. The forward got on the end of a corner kick from Sophia Bonser but her strike was strongly blocked by a Boro shirt.

The home side sealed the win on the 69th minute as Dodds got the goal she had been searching for. Dodd's got on the end of a great through ball from her team mate and made no mistake as she lifted her powerful shot past Hallam.

Forest continued to press until the final whistle looking to steal something from the game and Hewitt was given the final chance to do so. The full back won back possession on the half way line and carried the ball towards goal but her long distanced shot was easily saved by the Boro 'keeper.

Forest: Hallam, Wilson, Harkin (c), Walters, Hewitt, Griffin, Weston, Edwards (Sullivan 83'), Constantinou (Bonser 46'), Middleton, Hamilton

Unused subs: Davies, Bennett

Goal: Walters 15'

Middlesbrough: Stonehouse, Bass, Luke, Brown, Foster, Watt, Dodds (Marshall 71'), Dobson, Manders, Hutchinson (Elliott 78'), Scarr (Dale 61')

Goals: Scarr 39', 48', Dodds 69'

Advertisement block