Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

QPR 2-0 Forest

12 September 2020

Nottingham Forest fell to defeat on the opening day of the Sky Bet Championship season as they were beaten 2-0 by Queens Park Rangers at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Lyndon Dykes converted from the penalty spot with nine minutes gone in the second half and although Forest went on to have a host of guilt-edge chances, they couldn't take one of them and went back home from West London with nothing to show for their efforts as Ilias Chair wrapped up the game in stoppage time.

Sabri Lamouchi made four changes from the Carabao Cup defeat at Barnsley as Joe Worrall, Jack Colback, Joe Lolley and Luke Freeman replaced Yuri Ribeiro, Fouad Bachirou, Sammy Ameobi and Joao Carvalho while there was also a first league start for youngster Jordan Gabriel who retained his place at right-back.

Forest created an excellent chance to open the scoring on 19 minutes. Some good work by Freeman sent Tyler Blackett away down the left-hand side and his cross found a combination of Lolley and Lewis Grabban inside the penalty area but a glancing header from the former looped narrowly wide of Joe Lumley's left-hand post.

It had been a fairly even opening half-hour in the bright sunshine in West London before Rangers almost hit the front. Lee Wallace escaped down the left-hand channel and flashed a ball across the Forest six-yard box but the onrushing Dykes was seconds too late and was unable to turn the ball into the net.

Rangers made a bright start to the second half and opened the scoring within nine minutes. Tobias Figueiredo was caught on the wrong side of Dykes inside his own penalty area, hauled him to the ground and the Scotland international picked himself up to dispatch the spot-kick beyond Brice Samba into the roof of the net.

Lamouchi made a change just before the hour mark as Ameobi replaced Lolley and he almost levelled with his first kick of the game. Ryan Yates drilled a ball all along the ground out to Ameobi on the left, he powered into the penalty area but saw his strike deflected behind by the challenge of Osman Kakay.

It was proving to be Forest's best spell of the game so far and only the woodwork prevented them from equalising a minute later. Grabban's shot towards goal ricocheted around inside the QPR penalty area and Yates lashed an effort which came back off the crossbar with Lumley well beaten.

Forest were suddenly causing all sorts of problems for the home side and should have found their equaliser on 64 minutes. Nuno Da Costa's ball across the face of goal found Ameobi on the far side, he drilled it back into the six-yard box but Grabban could only steer his shot wide of the post from close range as the ball fizzed into his path.

Grabban arguably spurned an even better opportunity with six minutes to play as Forest pushed forward in numbers. Ameobi pulled the ball back from the left-hand side to Grabban who had been left in acres of space inside the penalty area but he slotted his effort wide of the target once again with Lumley rooted to the spot.

It was Grabban once again who had Forest's final chance of the afternoon but it just wasn't to be the striker's day. Forest poured forward in the second of four minutes of stoppage time but Grabban's powerful low drive span past Lumley's right-hand post and behind for a goal-kick.

With the final kick of the game, Chair wrapped all three points up for the home side. Samba got down well to his right to push away a shot from Dykes but Chair was on hand to tap the rebound into an empty net to condemn The Reds to opening-day defeat.

Forest couldn't say they hadn't had the chances to take at least a point from the game and they were left to rue those missed opportunities as Rangers saw the closing stages of the contest out.

Forest: Samba; Gabriel, Worrall, Figueiredo, Blackett; Colback, Yates; Da Costa (L.Taylor 67'), Freeman (Mighten 74'), Lolley (Ameobi 59'); Grabban (c)

Subs not used: Smith, Jenkinson, Dawson, Johnson

Bookings: Figueiredo 53', Gabriel 62'

Queens Park Rangers: Lumley; Kakay, Dickie, Barbet, Wallace; Cameron (c) Carroll (Thomas 75'); Amos (Ball 84'), Chair; Osayi-Samuel (Smyth 90'); Dykes

Subs not used: Kelly, Kane, Oteh, Masterson

Goals: Dykes (pen) 54', Chair

Booking: Dykes 77'

Referee: Tim Robinson

Advertisement block