Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 2-0 Wycombe

7 November 2020

Lyle Taylor's brace helped Nottingham Forest to victory this afternoon at The City Ground with a 2-0 win against Wycombe Wanderers.

The Reds recorded consecutive victories for the first time this season with a professional and organised performance against the newly-promoted visitors who gave a battling account of themselves.

The difference between the two sides was the talismanic frontman Taylor who scored either side of the break to give The Reds all three points ahead of the international break.

Chris Hughton made two changes to the side that came out on top against Coventry City on Wednesday with Sammy Ameobi and Miguel Guerrero returning to the starting line-up in place of Joe Lolley and Luke Freeman.

The visitors were making just their second ever visit to The City Ground in their 133-year history, with their only previous appearance here ending in a 1-0 defeat in a League Cup tie in 1996. Indeed, the was the first time the two sides had ever met in league competition. 

Forest started proceedings on a mild afternoon Trentside in a positive vein and appeared the hungrier of the teams in the opening stages. The first chance of the afternoon fell to Taylor, after his surging run was picked out by Guerrero with a neat ball over the top, however he could only manage to fire his effort from the edge of the area straight at Ryan Allsop in the Wycombe goal.

Sammy Ameobi was next in line to to test the resolve of the visitors when the ball fell to him on the edge of the area following a Forest corner. His venomous strike seemed destined to ripple the back of the net but a deflection sent the ball the wrong side of the post and out for a corner.

After surviving the initial onslaught the visitors grew into the game and started to show signs of quality in the opposition half without worrying Brice Samba in the Forest goal.

However, it proved to be short lived when Anthony Knockaert played a ball back to Cyrus Christie on the right hand side who drifted an inch perfect cross towards the back post where it was met by Taylor who rose higher than the Wycombe defence and was able to nod the ball past Allsop and into the back of the net to put the Reds infront.

Samba was finally called into action just before the break when a corner into the box was met by Anthony Stewart but his driven header was no match for Samba who caught the ball with ease as the deserved lead remained intact at the half time interval.

The Chairboys looked re-energised after the break and brought McCleary and Adebayo Akinfenwa in to the action in an attempt to shake things up. McCleary didn't take long to make an impression on the match as he found himself on the end of Joe Jacobson's free kick but his glancing header wasn't enough to beat Samba who caught the ball and broke up the play calmly.

The subsitutes made a real impact on the match as they linked up for the first time. McCleary beat his man on the right hand flank and whipped a ball into Akinfenwa who headed back across the face of goal and had Samba scrambling as the ball fell wide of the post.

Forest managed to weather the storm and double their advantage minutes later against the run of play when Knockaert broke down the right flank and following a challenge the ball popped towards the direction of the in-form Taylor who raced into the area with purpose and fired the ball past Allsop for his fourth goal in as many matches.

Wycombe refused to bow out of the contest and continued in their quest of goal with Akinfenwa again testing the Reds net but Lolley was on hand to clear the ball off the line and away from danger. 

The introduction of Republic of Ireland international Harry Arter almost provided drama of its own when he found himself with time and space on the edge of the area to unleash a thunderous effort at goal but Allsop denied him with a heroic reflex save from close range that kept the visitors hanging on.

Forest should've had a third in the dying seconds as Knockaert was denied by the outstretched arm of Allsop and the rebound fell to Arter who skied his effort at goal from close range over the crossbar and into the Trent End. The final whistle blew seconds later as the Reds ran out victorious for back to back wins this week heading into the international break.

Forest: Samba; Christie, Figuereido, McKenna, Ribeiro; Sow (Yates 45'), Colback (c), Knockaert, Ameobi (Lolley 68'); Guerrero (Arter 76'), Taylor

Subs not used: Smith, Mbe Soh, Freeman, Jenkinson

Goals: Taylor 28', 74'

Booking: Guerrero 12'

Wycombe: Allsop; Grimmer, Knight, Stewart, Jacobson (c); Thompson, Wheeler (McCleary 56'), Onyedinma, Horgan, Kashket (Akinfenwa 56'); Mehmeti (Samuel 78')

Subs not used: Stockdale, Tafazolli, Bloomfield, Adeniran

Bookings: Thompson 68', Grimmer 90+3'

Referee: Matthew Donohue

Advertisement block