Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 1-3 Brentford

12 December 2020

Nottingham Forest were beaten 3-1 by a clinical Brentford performance at The City Ground this afternoon.

Goals from Henrik Dalsgaard, Josh Dasilva and Ivan Toney were enough to earn all three points for The Bees as Forest grabbed a late consolation goal through Joe Worrall before Anthony Knockaert was then sent off for a second bookable offence.

Chris Hughton made one change to the side that was beaten at Norwich on Wednesday night as Ryan Yates returned from his one-match suspension to take Samba Sow's place in midfield while Gaeten Bong came back onto the substitutes' bench with Michael Dawson and Nicholas Ioannou missing out on a place in the matchday squad.

The Reds were almost caught cold by a rapid seventh-minute counter-attack from the visitors. Joe Lolley slipped as he tried to deliver a cross from the right, Brentford powered through midfield with a four-on-two attack but fortunately for Forest, The Bees' top scorer Ivan Toney drilled the ball into the side netting at Brice Samba's near post.

Brentford did make the breakthrough with 15 minutes on the clock through a set-piece. Mathias Jensen's left-wing corner was pin-point for the run of Dalsgaard and the Danish international powered his header beyond Samba into the back of the Forest net.

The high-flying visitors were making life extremely tough for Forest and they almost doubed their lead midway through the first half. Tarique Fosu-Henry's cross was headed out only as far as Bryan Mbeumo but Samba made a superb save down low to his left-hand side to push away the Frenchman's powerful strike.

It was the away side who were creating all the goalscoring opportunities at The City Ground and they almost furthered their advantage in spectacular fashion. A right-wing cross from Emiliano Marcondes was perfect for Toney to fire towards goal with an acrobatic volley but it cleared Samba's crossbar by a matter of inces.

Forest had struggled to create anything of note going forwards but their first real effort on goal arrived on 38 minutes. Sammy Ameobi powered towards the edge of the Brentford penalty area and sent a stinging strike which David Raya palmed away before the Spaniard scooped up Harry Arter's follow-up attempt.

As the first half entered one minute of stoppage time, Forest almost found an equaliser against the run of play. A free-kick from midway inside the Brentford half was cleared only as far as the striker on the corner of the penalty area but his audacious volley flew wide of Raya's left-hand post.

Hughton made a double substitution at half-time as Anthony Knockaert and Miguel Guerrero replaced Lolley and Harry Arter and Forest started the second half on the front foot. Ameobi went on a terrific run into the Brentford penalty area and delivered a low cross all the way through the six-yard box but no-one in Garibaldi could get on the end of it and the ball drifted out on the far side.

As the game moved beyond the hour mark, Forest thought they had their equaliser. An excellent move ended with Knockaert sweeping the ball into the bottom-left corner of Raya's net but the assistant referee had his flag up as Lyle Taylor was adjudged to have been in the goalkeeper's line of sight as Knockaert sent his shot towards goal.

Forest were an unrecognisable outfit from the first half and were flooding forwards at every opportunity. Knockaert was denied with 14 minutes remaining as his thunderous strike was touched over the crossbar by Raya before Yates headed the ball over the crossbar from the resulting corner.

For all their pressure, Forest had been unable to drag themselves level and they paid the price with seven minutes to play. Guerrero gave the ball away needlessly in the middle of the park and Brentford came forward on the counter-attack and the move ended with substitute Dasilva curling a terrific effort around Samba from the edge of the box into the far corner of the net.

If it wasn't game over at that point then it was when Toney made it 3-0 with two minutes of normal time to play. A long ball over the top of the Forest back four wasn't dealt with by Samba or Tobias Figueiredo and Toney nipped in to stab the ball beyond The Reds' goalkeeper and into the back of an empty net.

Forest grabbed a consolation goal in the second minute of stoppage time when Worrall converted Knockaert's free-kick with a fantastic header but worse was to follow for The Reds when Knockaert was shown a second yellow card for a dive inside the Brentford penalty area in the final minute of added time.

Forest: Samba; Christie, Figueiredo, Worrall (c), Ribeiro: Arter (Guerrero 46'), Yates, Cafu; Lolley (Knockaert 46'), Taylor, Ameobi

Subs not used: Smith, Mbe Soh, Bong, Jenkinson, Mighten, Sow, Swan

Goal: Worrall 90'

Bookings: Figueiredo 61', Samba 64', Knockaert 79'

Sent off: Knockaert 90'

Brentford: Raya; Dalsgaard (c), Pinnock, Sorensen, Henry; Janelt, Marcondes (Haygarth 89'), Jensen (Dasilva 66'); Mbeumo (Ghoddos 86'), Fosu-Henry (Canos 66'), Toney (Pressley 89')

Subs not used: Daniels, Thompson, Jansson, Stevens

Goals: Dalsgaard 15', Dasilva 83', Toney 88'

Bookings: Toney 64', Raya 82', Janelt 90'

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Advertisement block