Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Storey-Moore reflects on 'exciting' cup tie

8 April 2020

Apologies, this video is unvailable.

On this day 53 years ago, Nottingham Forest produced one of the best performances seen at The City Ground as they defeated Everton 3-2 in the FA Cup quarter-final. It was a game that remains firmly in the memory of many supporters and we caught up with the star of the show, Ian Storey-Moore, to revisit that classic match...

Ian Storey-Moore played a pivotal role as he hit a hat-trick in the classic encounter against Everton at The City Ground on this day.

The 1966-67 team is often revered as one of the best to pull on the Garibaldi, but they fell short in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and finished second in the league.

Ian Storey-Moore was the top scorer in that season, highlighting his goalscoring pedigree in an iconic match on the banks of the Trent.

“It was a long time ago now, but it was exciting times,” he said. “We were doing well in the league that season so it was happy days.

“We were second in the league behind Manchester United who went on to win the league, we did well but it came to an end when we didn’t win anything.”

Storey Moore FA Cup vs Everton 1967.png

The Reds went behind against Everton, and were trailing at half-time, before a fightback saw them take the lead, being pegged back once again before the grandstand finish amongst a passionate atmosphere.

He said: “We didn’t play particularly well in the first half, we were losing 1-0 at half-time, and what had set us back was a bad injury to Joe Baker who was a terrific player and it took us a little while to get settled down and back to our best.

“I got the accolades but I think Frank Wignall was the star player that day, he caused the Everton defence all sorts of problems and set up all three goals for me.

“The first was a tap-in and the second goal was the best of the three, I struck that well, once again it was a header from Frank down to me and the last one was a bit fortuitous. I think it took four times to get the ball into the back of the net but that created the excitement and entertainment for the day.

“The atmosphere was absolutely electric that day, my mother was at the game and she was so excited and got a bit faint so had to leave the game with about five minutes to go! To get that goal in the last couple of minutes was wonderful for everybody concerned.”


Advertisement block