Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ipswich 1-1 Forest

16 March 2019

A hugely controversial refereeing decision cost Nottingham Forest again as they were held to a 1-1 draw against Ipswich Town this afternoon.

Daryl Murphy saw a perfectly good goal disallowed on the stroke of half-time which would have seen Forest grab a vital three points at Portman Road in their quest for a top-six finish.

Collin Quaner put The Tractor Boys ahead before Molla Wague's leveller on the half-hour mark as The Reds were left frustrated at another decision going against them away from home.

Martin O'Neill made three changes to the side which lost out to Aston Villa on Wednesday, with Wague coming in for his first start for the club, Jack Robinson returning to left back and Daryl Murphy starting up front in place of Karim Ansarifard who dropped to the bench.

The home side made a strong start and took the lead on five minutes as Quaner capitalised on some hesitation in the Forest defence to put them in front. Gwion Edwards delivered a low ball to the near post, Wague and Costel Pantilimon left it for each other and the forward prodded it past the Forest keeper from inside the six-yard box.

The early goal boosted the home side as they defended resolutely to keep Forest at bay, but Ben Osborn got in behind the back line on 21 minutes to square across the box. Joe Lolley was well marshalled and couldn't get his shot away before Jack Colback, making his 50th appearance in the Garibaldi, saw his effort blocked.

On 31 minutes The Reds found themselves back on level terms as Wague pounced from a corner. Lolley's delivery into the area wasn't cleared, with the centre back scrambling the ball over the line despite the best efforts of Ipswich keeper Bartosz Bialkowski.

The equalising goal seemed to settle Forest following a fairly nervy start, with Murphy heading straight at Bialkowski from a Lolley free kick on 41 then the Irishman seeing a perfectly good goal chalked off in first-half injury time as the offside flag was raised against him after Yohan Benalouane's header was saved.

The home side had the better of the play at the start of the second half, with substitute Trevoh Chalobah hitting a stinging volley just wide of the target on 52 then Jon Nolan having a glorious chance as he headed wide when unmarked in the area just after the hour mark.

Both sides fancied their chances of getting a winner as Matty Cash and Joao Carvalho were introduced from the substitutes'' bench to add a fresh impetus to The Reds' attack. Cash hit a fine strike on 76 which forced Bialkowski into a low save to his left, then the Town keeper denied Murphy from the follow-up.

As the game went into the final 10 minutes, Forest were indebted to two fine saves by Pantilimon, denying substitute Kayden Jackson both times as the Ipswich forward shot from the right of the penalty area on both occasions.

It was the home side looking the more likely to find the decisive goal as Tendayi Darikwa diverted the ball narrowly wide of his own goal, then former Red Luke Chambers headed off target on 86 minutes.

The Reds were able to see the game out for a point which should have been all three had they not been denied by the officials.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Wague, Benalouane, Robinson, Pele (Ansarifard 77'), Yates (Cash 64'), Colback (c), Lolley, Osborn (Carvalho 64'), Murphy

Unused subs: Steele, Guedioura, Watson, Milosevic

Goal: Wague 31'

Booking: Colback 83'

Ipswich: Bialkowski, Bree, Chambers (c), Pennington, Kenlock, Skuse (Chalobah 41'), Nolan, Bishop (Nsiala 90'), Edwards, Judge, Quaner (Jackson 59')

Unused subs: Gerken, Knudsen, Dozzell, El Mizouni

Goal: Quaner 5'

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 16,709 (1,691 away)

Advertisement block