Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 2-1 Swansea

30 March 2019

Nottingham Forest came from behind to secure a dramatic 2-1 victory over Swansea City at The City Ground this afternoon.

Molla Wague's late header added to Daryl Murphy's leveller as Forest came from 1-0 down to score twice in seven minutes and secure a massive three points.

Connor Roberts had scored a fortunate opener for The Swans but two superb headers from corner kicks swung the game in Forest's favour as they returned to winning ways to move within two points of the Championship's top six.

Martin O'Neill made three changes to his Reds side, with Lewis Grabban and Matty Cash both returning to the starting line-up for the first time since injury and Ben Watson recalled to take the captain's armband.

Forest found life difficult against a very adept Swansea side on the ball in the first half. Dan James was a particular threat on the left-hand side with his pace but neither side were able to create any clear-cut chances.

Molla Wague looped a header over and Jack Colback shot wide of the target from the edge of the box with Forest's best chances of the half but the best moment of quality came via the glove of Costel Pantilimon on the stroke of half-time. The Romanian keeper produced a superb diving save to tip Matt Grimes' fizzing effort just round the post as the sides went in all square at the break.

The second half stated in a similar vein with little goalmouth action but on 58 the visitors should have taken the lead through their top scorer Oli McBurnie. Captain Mike van der Hoorn charged through the middle of the pitch before the striker nipped in front of Wague to race into the penalty area. With the goal at his mercy, he somehow missed the target completely as the scores remained level.

George Byers then forced Pantilimon into a smart save as he glanced a header goalwards before Joao Carvalho and Daryl Murphy were both introduced from the bench to add some impetus into the Forest attack.

But it was the visitors who managed to break the deadlock and it came with some good fortune on 76 minutes. Byers' shot from the edge of the area looked to be heading straight towards Pantilimon until Roberts diverted it away from the keeper and into the back of the net.

The Swans' lead didn't last long however as Murphy equalised from a corner. Lolley's in-swinging delivery was superbly flicked on at the near post by the Irishman, who guided the ball into the far corner with Kristoffer Nordfeldt well beaten.

Lolley almost gave Forest the lead a minute later as his looped header was tipped over the bar by Nordfeldt, but from the resulting corner the turnaround was complete as Wague powered home a bullet header to lift the roof off The City Ground.

There was a tense finish to the game as Swansea piled on the pressure but The Reds held firm for a vital three points.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Wague, Benalouane, Osborn, Watson (c) (Carvalho 67'), Colback, Yates (Pele 57'), Cash, Lolley, Grabban (Murphy 67')

Unused subs: Steele, Robinson, Yacob, Ansarifard

Goals: Murphy 80', Wague 87'

Bookings: Lolley 24', Colback 59', Darikwa 69', Benalouane 89'

Swansea: Nordfeldt, Roberts, van der Hoorn (c), Carter-Vickers, Naughton, Grimes, Byers (Baker-Richardson 84'), Dyer (McKay 70'), Celina, James, McBurnie

Unused subs: Benda, Asoro, John, Fulton, Harries

Goal: Roberts 76'

Booking: McBurnie 40'

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 28,469 (1,021 away)

Advertisement block