Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 3-0 Hull

9 March 2019

Nottingham Forest's play-off hopes were boosted on Saturday afternoon after they secured a terrific 3-0 win over Hull City at The City Ground.

A stunning strike from Joao Carvalho on his birthday was quickly followed by a Karim Ansarifard strike, before Joe Lolley's penalty sealed all three points for The Reds.

Martin O'Neill made two changes to the side that lost at Stoke City last weekend with Pele and Leo Bonatini coming into the team in place of Jack Robinson and Ben Watson.

The first chance went the way of Forest and it was from an unlikely source. Yohan Benalouane intercepted the ball on halfway and tried his luck with a half-volley that went wide of the target.

Hull's first opportunity then came after some clever work from Eric Lichaj and Kamil Grosicki, allowing the latter to feed through a pass for Jarrod Bowen whose prodded effort went wide of the target. Bonatini then tried to carve an opportunity for The Reds, sliding it to Osborn who cut inside and fired an effort straight into the hands of David Marshall.

The Reds had their best chance of the half shortly before 30 minutes when a powerful run from Lolley saw the winger race into the area and shoot, but his effort was well blocked away from danger. It was then Grosicki's turn to try and break the deadlock for the visitors when he weaved his way down the flank, cut inside and drilled a low shot which Costel Pantilimon saved at his near post.

Forest had a final opportunity on the brink of half-time when a cross found Ryan Yates at the back post. The academy graduate nodded it back to Lolley in the centre who tried to loop a header towards goal which went harmlessly over the target. Yates was then shown a yellow card when he handled the ball towards goal from a free-kick, as the two sides went in level.

The Reds were inches away from taking the lead in the opening few minutes of the second-half. Lolley's corner from the left was headed towards goal by Alexander Milosevic, forcing a superb save from Marshall in the Hull goal. The Tigers then made a double substitution with Chris Martin and Marc Pugh being replaced by Fraizer Campbell and Evandro Goebel.

O'Neill then made his first change with Bonatini coming off to be replaced by Ansarifard. Forest were beginning to push forward and just needed the ball to break for them; Osborn's deep cross finding the head of Yates who nodded into the arms of Marshall was the closest they came.

Ansarifard was shown a yellow card for a late challenge on Reece Burke, before Joao Carvalho came on to replace Daryl Murphy. Yates then had another superb chance when he kept the ball in play on the far side from Osborn's cross, firing a left-footed strike towards the corner which Marshall somehow tipped wide.

Carvalho then incredibly fired Forest into the lead. The ball broke to the Portuguese on the edge of the box and he lashed in a stunning strike off the post to send The City Ground into delirium.

Forest soon doubled their lead through Ansarifard. Lolley brought the ball forward and fired in a right-footed shot which rebounded off the post and straight into the path of the Iranian international, who slotted it into the net.

O'Neill's side were in the ascendancy and that showed when they were awarded a penalty after Jack Colback was tripped inside the area. Lolley stepped up and coolly converted the spot-kick to put The Reds three up.

Diogo Goncalves then replaced Lolley with five minutes remaining. Bowen could have scored a late consolation for The Tigers when he was found in space on the right, but his shot was well saved by Pantilimon, as The Reds secured a vital three points at The City Ground.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Milosevic, Benalouane, Osborn, Yates, Pele, Colback, Lolley (Goncalves 87'), Bonatini (Ansarifard 59'), Murphy (Carvalho 68')

Unused subs: Steele, Guedioura, Watson, Wague

Goals: Carvalho 72', Ansarifard 76' Lolley pen 82'

Bookings: Yates 45', Ansarifard 67'

Hull: Marshall, Kane, Burke, de Wijs, Lichaj, Bowen, Henriksen, Irvine, Gorsicki, Pugh (Evandro 54'), Martin (Campbell 54')

Unused subs: Long, Stewart, Milinkovic, McKenzie, Ridgewell 

Booking: Irvine 58'

Referee: James Linington

Attendance: 29,397 (away 1,963)

Advertisement block