Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Youth Cup: Manchester City 4-1 Forest

18 January 2019

Nottingham Forest's FA Youth Cup run came to an end as they were beaten 4-1 at the hands of Manchester City.

A brace from Nabil Touaizi added to strikes from Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Jayden Braaf while Forest were only left with Brennan Johnson's late consolation from the penalty spot as their trip to the Academy Stadium ended in defeat.

The home side grabbed an early advantage as Forest switched off at a set-piece. City delivered a corner from the right-hand side and Harwood-Bellis was left unmarked and able to head the ball home despite Michael Statham's best efforts.

Arvin Appiah almost found a fortunate equaliser soon after as he was able to charge down goalkeeper Louie Moulden's clearance but the ball cannoned off the striker's chest and wide of the target, much to Moulden's relief.

Set-pieces were proving to be Forest's undoing as City doubled their lead from another corner. This time it was taken short to Braaf on the edge of the penalty area and his deflected effort looped up and over Statham and into the corner of the net.

City had a third goal inside 25 minutes at the Academy Stadium as Touaizi got his name on the scoresheet. Having wrestled his way into the Forest penalty area, the striker then fired a low shot beyond Statham.

Forest had a decent opportunity to pull a goal back shortly before half-time as Appiah's through-ball found Will Swan but Moulden stood firm to make a strong save before City were able to get back and clear the danger.

Touaizi scored his second and City's fourth goal of the night 10 minutes into the second half. A strong run down the right-hand side from Ben Knight ended with the midfielder squaring the ball for Touaizi to tap home from two yards.

Despite the scoreline, The Reds refused to give up in their quest for a consolation goal and Josh Barnes stung the hands of Moulden from the edge of the penalty area as the City goalkeeper pushed his fizzing effort behind for a corner.

Forest attacked in numbers once again moments later as Appiah strode forward through the middle third but he curled a strike inches wide of the target with Moulden seemingly beaten.

The Reds finally got the goal their hard work deserved with six minutes to play. Johnson was dragged down inside the penalty area but picked himself up and coolly slotted the ball into the corner of the net.

Forest: Statham, Spooner, Barnes, Harbottle (c), Richardson (Greenwood 87'), Dekel-Daks (Boland 71'), Back, Johnson, Appiah, Gibson-Hammond (Hammond 87'), Swan

Subs: Liburd-Hines, Mutoti

Goal: Johnson (pen) 84'

Booking: Richardson 32'

Manchester City: Moulden, Frimpong (Diounkou 70'), Garcia (c), Harwood-Bellis, Ogbeta, Doyle, Knight, Richards (McDonald 60'), Touaizi (Wright-Phillips 60'), F. Nmecha, Braaf

Subs not used: Trafford, Ogunby

Goals: Harwood-Bellis 6', Braaf 16', Touaizi 25', 55'

Booking: Knight 30'

Advertisement block