Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

West Brom 2-2 Forest

12 February 2019

Ryan Yates struck his first goal for Nottingham Forest as The Reds were denied all three points against West Bromwich Albion by a controversial late penalty.

The academy graduate gave Forest a second-half lead but The Reds had to settle for a point in an entertaining match at The Hawthorns.

Jacob Murphy levelled for The Baggies early in the second half before the controversial late spot kick saw Jay Rodriguez level the tie under the lights in the West Midlands.

Martin O'Neill included both Jack Colback and Yohan Benalouane in his starting line up to face West Brom, after the pair returned from suspension and Yates retained his place in the starting 11 after his Man of Match performance against Brentford last weekend and got off to the perfect start.

It took just six minutes for the visitors to go ahead after a clever interchange between Colback and Grabban. The pair's neat one-two allowed Colback to simply square the ball to an onrushing Yates and his effort was turned into his own net by Baggies midfielder Stefan Johansen.

The opening quarter of an hour belonged to the visitors, threatening on the counter attack on numerous occasions but as the half wore on, The Baggies came back into the match and started to dominate possession.

The hosts produced their first real chance on 37 minutes when Murphy cut inside, beating both Ben Osborn and Jack Robinson only to see his attempted cross smothered by Costel Pantilimon in the six-yard box.

The Reds took their lead into the break but ten minutes into the second half, the home side managed to break through a resolute Forest defence. Forest failed to clear a cross into the box and the loose ball fell to Murphy who stabbed home beyond Pantilimon.

The hosts were now in charge and looking to add a second but Forest were remaining tight at the back and gradually regained their footing in the game.

On 65 minutes they reclaimed the lead through Yates who scored his first goal in Forest colours. A long throw by Robinson from the left was controlled and teed up by Grabban for the unmarked Yates who smashed home, in off the post past a helpless Sam Johnstone.

It was a frantic period in the second half with both sides attacking with real threat and purpose but it was Forest, however, who were looking the most likely to score, and they nearly did through leading goalscorer Grabban. Joe Lolley danced past a couple of challenges and put the striker through on goal, however, his left-footed effort was well saved by Johnstone in the West Brom goal.

As the match entered the final stages, the home side were throwing everything they had at the Forest goal but the visitors, as they have done throughout the match, were equal to the challenge and restricting the hosts to long-range efforts.

However, with just a minute left on the clock, the home side won a penalty after Dwight Gayle was adjudged to have been brought down under Alex Milosevic's challenge. Rodriguez stepped up and drew the scores level as he drilled the ball past Pantilimon.

Despite losing the lead for a second time, the visitors came back fighting in stoppage time but there wasn't to be a third for the men in red and the match ended all square.

Forest: Pantilimon, Janko, Milosevic, Benalouane, Robinson, Watson (c), Colback, Yates (Yacob 77'), Lolley, Osborn, Grabban (D. Murphy 79')

Unused subs: Steele, Carvalho, Goncalves, Bonatini, Ansarifard

Goals: Johansen (o.g.) 6', Yates 65'

Bookings: Watson 16', Milosevic 73'

West Brom: Johnstone, Holgate, Dawson, Adarabioyo, Gibbs, Johansen (Hoolahan 70'), Livermore (c) (Barry 64'), Harper, J. Murphy, Gayle, Rodriguez

Unused subs: Bond, Bartley, Mears, Field, Tulloch

Goals: J. Murphy 54', Rodriguez pen 89'

Booking: Livermore 40'

Referee: Lee Mason

Attendance: 22,691 (2,205 away)

Advertisement block