Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull 0-2 Forest

26 December 2019

A goal in each half from Lewis Grabban was enough to secure Nottingham Forest's first Boxing Day win away from home since 1991 as they claimed a 2-0 victory at Hull City.

Grabban's 11th and 12th goals of the campaign proved the difference at the KCOM Stadium as Forest put an end to their poor recent run and moved up to seventh in the Sky Bet Championship table.

Sabri Lamouchi made one change to the side that was beaten at Huddersfield Town on Saturday as Alfa Semedo came into the starting 11 in place of Sammy Ameobi who dropped to the bench.

The home side had a superb opportunity to take an early lead from Jarrod Bowen’s dangerous free-kick but the on-rushing Jackson Irvine could only stab the ball over the crossbar from point-blank range as The Reds survived an early scare.

That miss was to prove an important moment in the game as Forest went on to grab the lead with their first penalty of the season. Samba Sow attempted to skip round Irvine inside the box but the midfielder was brought down and Grabban stepped up to send George Long the wrong way from the spot.

Grabban's early goal gave Forest a real lift and they almost added a second midway through the first half. Good link-up play between Chema and Alfa Semedo down the left-hand channel led to a chance for Joe Lolley inside the box but his acrobatic effort cleared Long's crossbar.

Hull created a decent chance to equalise with five minutes of the first half remaining as they worked the ball well on the edge of the Forest penalty area but once it broke inside the box to Kamil Grosicki, he could only shoot low into the arms of Brice Samba.

Forest came out with purpose at the beginning of the second half and almost doubled their advantage but Long made a smart save with his feet to prevent Tiago Silva from finding the back of the net with a drilled volley from the edge of the penalty area.

It had become an open game in the driving rain at the KCOM Stadium and there were chances at both ends midway through the second half. Bowen's strike from 12 yards was deflected behind for a corner while at the other end, Matty Cash's right-wing corner was stabbed wide at the near post by Grabban.

Ryan Yates had replaced Semedo on 69 minutes and the midfielder had a golden chance to make the game safe. Lolley raced into the box on the left-hand side and pulled the ball back for Yates, who was standing just behind the penalty spot, but he could only guide his shot well wide.

The Reds were doing an excellent job of inviting Hull on so they could hit them on the counter-attack and they did so in devastating fashion with eight minutes to play. Silva fed the ball through to Grabban on the right-hand side of the penalty area, he powered forward and smashed it beyond Long to double Forest's lead.

Forest had been in control for long spells and they comfortably saw out the remainder of the contest to secure an impressive away win and the perfect filip ahead of Sunday's home game against Wigan Athletic.

Forest: Samba; Cash, Figueiredo, Worrall, Chema; Sow (Ameobi 44'), Watson (c), Lolley (Carvalho 88'), Semedo (Yates 69'), Silva; Grabban

Subs not used: Smith, Jenkinson, Robinson, Dawson

Goals: Grabban (pen) 11’, 82'

Bookings: Chema 4’, Watson 87'

Hull: Long; Lichaj, Burke, de Wijs, Elder (Kingsley 39'); Batty (Bowler 46'), Da Silva Lopes (Honeyman 78'); Bowen, Irvine, Grosicki; Eaves

Subs not used: Ingram, Tafazolli, McKenzie, Pennington

Bookings: Da Silva Lopes 73', Kingsley 77', Bowen 87'

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Attendance: 15,001 (1,947 away)

Advertisement block