Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 1-0 Fleetwood

13 August 2019

Nottingham Forest booked their place in the second round of the Carabao Cup with a 1-0 win against Fleetwood Town.

Tiago Silva scored the only goal of the game, a fine effort in the second half to ensure that The Reds defeated their League One opponents at The City Ground.

Sabri Lamouchi handed debuts to Brice Samba, Carl Jenkinson, Yuri Riberio and John Bostock and also named academy star Alex Mighten on the bench for the first time.

There were first starts for the club for Samba Sow, Sammy Ameobi and Rafa Mir too in nine changes from the draw against Leeds, and it was one of those debutants who had the first effort of the game inside four minutes.

Tiago Silva’s floated free kick was headed out as far as Jenkinson on the edge of the box who hit a half-volley towards the top corner but Fleetwood keeper Alex Cairns was equal to it to palm away.

Forest were dominating possession but were unable to force Cairns into action again, with a strong run by Arvin Appiah seeing him carry the ball 50 yards before shooting over via a deflection.

As the half wore on, the visitors came into the game and it was a fine save by Samba which prevented them taking the lead on the stroke of time, clawing out Peter Clarke’s header before Ashley Hunter curled a free kick narrowly off target.

The second half began in much the same vein as the first, with The Reds on top and dominating the play. Ameobi headed over the bar at the near post from a Silva corner before a moment of magic from the Portuguese opened the game up on the hour.

Bostock clipped a ball over the top of the Fleetwood defence for Silva, who brought it down, skipped past a challenge and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net to put Forest in front.

The Trawlermen were throwing men forward to try and get the leveller to take it to penalties and they probably should have done so on 78. Paul Coutts saw his shot saved by Samba and from the rebound, substitute Conor McAleny dragged his effort wide of the target from eight yards out.

Brice Samba was on hand to keep Fleetwood out as the game’s end drew nearer, palming away a Ross Wallace free kick and parrying McAleny’s strike before Paddy Madden dragged a shot wide as he raced towards goal.

But those chances proved costly for the visitors as it was Forest who won on the night and booked their spot in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

Forest: Samba, Jenkinson, Figueiredo, Worrall (c), Ribeiro, Sow (Johnson 65’), Bostock, Silva, Ameobi, Appiah (Cash 77’), Mir

Unused subs: Muric, Milosevic, Robinson, Richardson, Mighten

Goal: Silva 59’

Bookings: Silva 44’, Bostock 83’, Ribeiro 90’

Fleetwood: Cairns, Coyle, Clarke, Souttar, Andrew, Burns, Coutts (c), Rossiter (Wallace 78’), Madden, Hunter (Morris 53’), Biggins (McAleny 63’)

Unused subs: Crellin, Eastham, Sowerby, Sheron

Bookings: Morris 77’, McAleny 80’, Coyle 90’

Referee: Alan Young

Attendance: 7,432 (198 away)

Advertisement block