Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 1-0 Rotherham

22 September 2018

A late Lewis Grabban penalty was enough for Nottingham Forest as they overcame Rotherham United 1-0 at The City Ground.

Grabban stepped up to convert from the spot after Ben Osborn had been fouled inside the area as The Reds snatched all three points on a frustrating afternoon on Trentside.

Aitor Karanka's men weren't at their best but they will be happy to come away with the victory to make it back-to-back wins at The City Ground.

Forest went on the front foot straight away, with Osborn winning a free kick in a dangerous area on four minutes which Grabban hit into the wall, but the pace of the game slowed for much of the first half.

Neither side were able to build any rhythm with the majority of the opening half hour being played inside the middle third of the pitch.

A neat corner routine on 31 almost led to a chance for Forest, with Osborn eventually getting a shot away which deflected wide of the target.

After a first half lacking in goalscoring opportunities, Forest had to wait just four minutes for their best opening of the game as Joao Carvalho rattled the post. A deep cross by Saidy Janko was well controlled in the area by the Portuguese, but he could only fire against the post from close range under pressure from keeper Marek Rodak.

The chance saw the game open up and after Jack Robinson did brilliantly to thwart a Rotherham break away on 52, Carvalho teed up Gil Dias who saw his low shot well saved by Rodak.

Rotherham carved out a half-chance of their own on 57 as substitute Michael Smith broke free on the right to play a dangerous ball across the face of goal which Costel Pantilimon bravely palmed away, taking a clattering from the arriving Kyle Vassell in the process.

The visitors showed much more attacking intent as the game headed into the final 20 minutes and The Reds were indebted to a fine Pantilimon save on 78 as he denied Richie Towell from point-blank range.

Despite not being at their best, Forest did find the breakthrough on 86 and it came via the penalty spot. Osborn was hauled down inside the area by Ryan Williams and Grabban stepped up to calmly convert, sending Rodak the wrong way.

The one goal was enough for Forest who saw the closing stages of the game out to make it back-to-back wins at The City Ground.

Forest: Pantilimon, Janko, Hefele, Fox, Robinson, Guedioura (Lolley 60'), Watson (c), Dias (Cash 72'), Carvalho (Bridcutt 90'), Osborn, Grabban

Unused subs: Steele, Goncalves, Dawson, Darikwa

Goal: Grabban pen 86'

Booking: Guedioura 32'

Rotherham: Rodak, Jones, Wood (c), Ajayi, Mattock, Williams, Vaulks, Towell (Taylor 88'), Manning (Palmer 71'), Proctor (Smith 46'), Vassell

Unused subs: Price, Vyner, Forde, Wiles

Bookings: Jones 33', Towell 86', Vaulks 90'

Referee: Robert Jones

Attendance: 27,479 (1,291 away)

Advertisement block