Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bolton 0-3 Forest

24 October 2018

A Lewis Grabban brace helped Nottingham Forest to a convincing victory over Bolton Wanderers and the University of Bolton Stadium.

Joe Lolley had given The Reds a first-half lead with a fine goal on the counter attack before Grabban struck, once from the penalty spot, to ensure Forest returned to winning ways.

The frontman also saw a spot kick saved by keeper Ben Alnwick but it didn't matter as Forest came away with all three points.

Aitor Karanka made four changes to the side which lost against Norwich on Saturday, with Tobias Figueiredo, Michael Dawson, Jack Robinson and Adlene Guedioura all coming into the starting line-up.

The Reds made a great start to the game and could have taken the lead inside the opening minute had Gil Dias made more of his opportunity to get in behind the Bolton defence.

But Forest were on top and were pinning the home side in their defensive third, looking to carve them open at every opportunity.

The opening goal came from a sweeping counter attack however as Joe Lolley struck on 12 minutes. The winger charged through the middle of the pitch and played a one-two with Lewis Grabban on the edge of the box before rifling an effort into the top corner for a deserved lead.

After the positive start for Forest, Bolton tried to get back on level terms but lacked quality in the final third to create any clear openings, while the Forest defence also stood firm.

The Reds started the second half strongly, with Gil Dias bending an effort towards the far corner which keeper Ben Alnwick palmed away, but from the follow-up Grabban was brought down in the area for a penalty kick on 55.

The frontman picked himself up to take the kick but Alnwick dived to his left to palm away the shot and keep the score at one.

But Grabban made amends just after the hour mark as he put The Reds firmly in control. Joao Carvalho's through ball was straight into the path of Grabban who raced through on goal before calmly lifting the ball over Alnwick to give Forest some breathing space.

That breathing space got bigger with seven minutes to go as Forest got another penalty which Grabban converted this time. Substitute Hillal Soudani saw his shot parried by Alnwick who then brought Grabban down in the area, with the Forest man stepping up to hit his shot in the same corner but this time having too much for the Bolton keeper.

Forest looked comfortable in the closing stages and could even have snatched a fourth on the break, but they take a convincing win back to Nottingham ahead of the trip to face Leeds United on Saturday.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Figueiredo, Dawson (c), Robinson, Colback, Guedioura, Dias (Cash 67'), Carvalho (Soudani 79'), Lolley (Osborn 86'), Grabban

Unused subs: Steele, Watson, Janko, Hefele

Goals: Lolley 12', Grabban 64', pen 83'

Bookings: Figueiredo 38', Carvalho 66'

Bolton: Alnwick, Little, Hobbs, Wheater (c), Taylor (Doidge 75'), Lowe (Oztumer 69') Vela, Williams, Wildschut (Donaldson 46'), Noone, Magennis

Unused subs: Matthews, Wilson, Dyer, Murphy

Booking: Lowe 16'

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 13,195 (1,001 away)

Advertisement block