Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burton Albion 3-2 Forest

30 October 2018

Nottingham Forest's Carabao Cup dreams were dashed at the Pirelli Stadium as they were beaten 3-2 by Burton Albion.

Scott Fraser's brace and a late strike from Jake Hesketh booked Albion's place in the quarter-finals despite Lewis Grabban getting his name on the scoresheet once again and Arvin Appiah netting a debut goal.

Aitor Karanka made ten changes to the side that drew at Leeds at the weekend with only Matty Cash keeping his place and Hillal Soudani returning to the starting line-up after his spell out through injury.

The Reds created the first opportunity of the night when Diogo Goncalves's corner from the left found an unmarked Michael Dawson inside the penalty area but the former Hull man could only direct his header over the crossbar.

Luke Steele had to be alert just before the 20-minute mark to prevent the hosts from taking the lead. Boyce broke into the penalty area on the left-hand side and shot from a tight angle but the Forest goalkeeper got down well to push the ball away.

Forest were almost the architechts of their own downfall ten minutes later as they gifted possession up inside their own half. Boyce's low drive was saved by Steele before The Reds' stopper got up to make a terrific second block from Jamie Allen.

There was to be an even bigger let-off for Forest soon after. Liam Bridcutt brought Allen down inside the penalty area but Boyce smashed his spot-kick over the crossbar and into the Reds supporters behind Steele's goal.

Into the second half and Forest had an early chance to go in front. Gil Dias weaved his way into the Albion penalty area and stabbed a shot towards goal but former Forest goalkeeper Dimitar Evtimov stood firm to deny his former club.

Only two minutes after that missed opportunity and Forest were behind. Fraser went on a run through the middle third and unleashed a shot which took a wicked deflection and flew beyond Steele into the top corner of the net.

The home side were first to every ball on the pitch by this point and they doubled their advantage on 64 minutes. The Reds struggled to clear their lines as Burton broke forward and Fraser was on hand once again to slide the ball into the back of Steele's net.

Karanka brought on Grabban and Joe Lolley in a bid to mount a comeback and it was the former who pulled a goal back with 20 minutes to play. Dias played a good ball into Grabban's pass and he calmly chipped Evtimov to halve the deficit.

Forest had battled to find a leveller but their Carabao Cup exploits were all but brought to an end as Burton found a crucial third goal. Boyce worked well down the left-hand channel and delivered a cross which Hesketh smashed home first time at the far post.

Appiah was introduced with five minutes to play and he provided the only bright moment of the evening as he prodded the ball into the Albion net in stoppage time but it wasn't enough as the home side held on.

Forest: Steele; Janko (Lolley 69'), Hefele, Dawson, Osborn; Watson (c), Bridcutt (Appiah 85'), Goncalves, Cash, Dias; Soudani (Grabban 56')

Subs not used: Pantilimon, Robinson, Yacob, Darikwa

Goals: Grabban 70', Appiah 90'

Booking: Dawson 47'

Burton Albion: Evtimov, Brayford, Allen, McFadzean, Fraser, (Buxton 85') Hesketh (Sbarra 88'), Akins (c), Templeton (Sordell 70'), Fox, Quinn, Boyce

Subs not used: Collins, Harness, Miller, Wallace

Goals: Fraser 52', 64', Hesketh 82'

Referee: John Brooks

Attendance: 4,284 (1,653 away)

Advertisement block