Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under 23s: Leicester 1-2 Forest

13 November 2018

Nottingham Forest Under 23s moved to the top of the group in the Premier League Cup after a terrific 2-1 away victory over rivals Leicester City at Holmes Park last night.

A goal in each half from striker Virgil Gomis, cancelling out Khanya Leshabela's equaliser, secured all three points for The Reds who made it two wins from two in the cup.

Forest were in the ascendency throughout the first half and they nearly took the lead on six minutes. A superb through ball from Anel Ahmedhodzic played through Jayden Richardson who squared the ball across goal, causing havoc in the Leicester area with two blocked shots, but eventually the home side cleared the ball.

Gomis caused all sorts of problems for The Foxes defence and had numerous chances to take the lead for The Reds. The Forest striker raced into the area and fired a low shot towards goal which was held by Max Bramley in the Leicester goal. The Frenchman had another glorious chance to open the scoring on 17 minutes when he latched onto a loose ball and dinked the ball over the goalkeeper, but it drifted wide of the target.

But Gomis did score on 32 minutes after some great work from Yassine En-Neyah on the right-hand side. The Forest youngster battled and whipped in a cross which was collected by Gomis who got it out of his feet and slotted it into the bottom corner.

But against the run of play the home side levelled the score just before the break. From a corner, the ball was played to Leshabela who bent a fine effort with the outside of his boot into the top left-hand corner. It could have been worse for The Reds too when Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall rattled the crossbar from 20-yards out as the sides went in level, with Hamza Choudhury picking up a booking a moment before.

The second half was even throughout with Leicester seeing more of the ball, as Owen Gallacher was shown a yellow card for a strong challenge on a Leicester man. But Gallacher nearly made it two for The Reds when Gomis broke forward on the counter-attack and his deflected shot fell into the path of the former who edged his shot just wide.

Foxes captain Darnell Johnson was left frustrated after he headed over a corner from close range, as Alex Iacovitti came on to replace Gallacher in a period where The Reds defended well.

Their patience was rewarded on 78 minutes when Gomis grabbed his second goal of contest to edge The Reds in front. A marauding run from Richardson took the ball into the area, resulting in a goal-line scramble where Gomis was on hand to slot the ball into the net.

En-Neyah was replaced by Will Swan and the latter nearly made an instant impact when Danny Preston pulled the ball back to him inside the area, but he lofted his shot over the bar. A valiant display from Tyrese Fornah in the middle of the park saw him replaced by Joe Coveney in the final few minutes as The Reds defended well to secure a huge three points in the East Midlands derby.

Forest: Bossin, Richardson, Preston, Yates, Ahmedhodzic, Stewart, En-Neyah (Swan 78'), Fornah (Coveney 89'), Gomis, Taylor, Gallacher (Iacovitti 64').

Unused subs: Wright, Dekel-Daks.

Goals: Gomis 32', 78'


Advertisement block