Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under 23s: Forest 2-2 Huddersfield

16 March 2018

Nottingham Forest Under 23s had to settle for a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw this afternoon against Huddersfield Town.

Goals from Barrie McKay and Aaron Smith had put The Reds in front after they went behind early on, but a second-half leveller saw a share of the spoils in the Professional Development League at the Nigel Doughty Academy.

The visitors found an early breakthrough on five minutes as Romoney Crichlow-Noble powered a header into the top corner of the net following a corner.

Despite the early setback, Forest responded well and were level just five minutes later thanks to McKay. The winger showed great skill to skip past a few challenges on his way into the penalty area, before calmly slotting the ball past Luke Mewitt in The Terriers' goal.

Oran Thompson then cleared off the line for the visitors as McKay's flicked effort didn't get enough power on it, and Elvis Otim was inches away from getting on the end of Arvin Appiah's left-wing cross.

But on 36 minutes Forest's pressure told as Smith put Gareth Holmes's side in front. Jake Taylor's sublime pass put McKay through on goal and he unselfishly squared for Smith who had the simple task of slotting the ball home.

Smith would have had a second on the stroke of half-time as he converted Toby Eder's wonderful pass, but the offside flag denied him and Forest started the second half brightly as strongly as they ended it.

Edser had a low shot saved by Mewitt and then Smith was denied by the Town keeper when one-on-one.

Forest were made to pay for those missed chances as Huddersfield levelled on 68 minutes through Dominic Tear. Substitute Isaac Marriot charged down the right and crossed for Tear who converted at the back post.

Jack Hobbs came through 70 minutes for The Reds as he continues his recovery from injury, while there was a blow for Forest on 79 minutes as Jordan Gabriel left the field on a stretcher after a hefty challenge on the edge of the Huddersfield box.

Appiah came close to winning all three points for The Reds as his effort thundered off the crossbar with seven minutes to go but both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils in an evenly-contested match.

Forest: Bossin, Gabriel (Trialist 79'), Iacovitti, Taylor, Hobbs (Richardson 71'), Ahmedhodzic, Otim, Edser, Smith (Trialist 82'), McKay, Appiah

Unused subs: Shelvey, Johnson

Goals: McKay 10', Smith 36'

Huddersfield: Mewitt, Williams, O'Malley, High (Dyson 62'), Thompson (Marriott 57'), Crichlow-Noble, Booty, O'Brian, Daly, Pyke (Obiero 75'), Tear

Unused sub: Davison-Hale

Goals: Crichlow-Noble 5', Tear 68'

Bookings: Pyke 16', Crichlow-Noble 73'

Referee: James Bell

Advertisement block