Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Millwall 2-0 Forest

30 March 2018

Nottingham Forest's unbeaten run came to an end at The Den this afternoon as Millwall ran out 2-0 winners.

A goal inside 30 seconds by Shaun Williams and a second from Lee Gregory condemned The Reds to defeat on a wet and miserable Good Friday in South London.

Aitor Karanka made four changes to the side that picked up a point away from home at Sheffield United before the international break.

Barrie McKay, Lee Tomlin and Joe Lolley came into the starting 11 with Apostolos Vellios replacing Daryl Murphy in attack after the Irishman was ruled out injured.

The Lions made the perfect start as they went ahead in the first minute. Ben Marshall whipped in a cross from the left which was was met by Williams at the near post and his thumping header flashed past Costel Pantilimon.

Despite going in front, it was the visitors who had the majority of the ball early on with Tomlin controlling the play. The loanee set up Lolley on ten minutes but the midfielder dragged his effort wide from outside the box.

Forest continued to dominate and went close to equalising ten minutes later as a deflected shot from Ben Watson fell into the path of McKay but the Scotsman failed to keep the ball down after attempting to chip Archer in the home goal.

Long-range efforts from Tobias Figueiredo and Vellios either side of the half-hour mark showed The Reds' attacking intent but neither were able to trouble Archer as the home side soon doubled their advantage.

Again it came from a cross by Marshall on the left, with Morison nodding the ball back to Lee Gregory in front of goal. The striker had time inside the penalty area to control the ball and power a shot past Pantilimon to put Millwall two goals to the good.

Forest continued to be patient with their build-up however, despite a tame effort from Tomlin on the edge of the area, they were unable to get on the scoresheet in the first half.

Matty Cash came on for Forest early in the second half and was quick to get into the action, trying his luck from outside the area but failing to keep his shot down.

On the hour mark Forest were in complete control of possession but despite all their endeavours, were finding it difficult to break through a resolute Millwall defence.

Eventually they did find a way through but when the ball fell to Vellios he was unable to convert. Ben Osborn's low drive from the left side of the penalty box was parried into the path of Vellios but the outstretched Greek couldn't keep his shot down as the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Karanka tried a change in tactic, with the introduction of Joe Worrall and Ben Brereton from the bench seeing The Reds revert to three at the back but it didn't have the desired impact as the home side showed their experience and game managerment skills to see the game out.

Forest continued to look for a gap but The Lions defence remained solid as it had all match. Overall a frustrating day for The Reds whose seven match unbeaten run comes to an end.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa (Worrall 67'), Figueiredo, Fox, Osborn, Watson (c), Colback, Lolley (Brereton 67'), Tomlin, McKay (Cash 55'), Vellios

Unused subs: Kapino, Mancienne, Guedioura, Bridcutt

Bookings: Tomlin 12', Figueiredo 23', Fox 52'

Millwall: Archer, Romeo, Hutchinson, Cooper, Meredith, Wallace (Onyedinma 88'), Williams, Saville, Marshall (O'Brien 89'), Morison (c) (Shackell 90'), Gregory

Unused subs: Martin, Cahill, Tunnicliffe, Elliott

Goals: Williams 1', Gregory 33'

Bookings: Saville 29', Williams 40', Morison 53'

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 16,004 (1,463 away)

Advertisement block