Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 0-0 Derby

11 March 2018

Nottingham Forest and Derby County played out a goalless draw at The City Ground this afternoon to ensure that the East Midlands derby spoils were shared.

In a game of few chances, it was the defences which came out on top as both sides struggled to find a way through.

The Rams had Tom Huddlestone sent off with ten minutes to play for two yellow cards but ultimately it didn't matter as it ended in a stalemate.

There was one change to the side which drew against Norwich in midweek, with Lee Tomlin returning in place of Kieran Dowell.

There was a red-hot atmosphere at The City Ground and both sets of players were equally fired up. Some strong tackles were made early on as the battle for control took place, but there was little in the way of goalscoring opportunities early on.

Andi Weimann had an effort well blocked by Danny Fox in the Forest area on 12 minutes and Joe Lolley went on a surging run, travelling from inside his own half but Matty Cash couldn't quite control his through ball shortly afterwards.

Cash and Lolley linked up again on 22, this time Lolley whipping in a dangerous corner which Cash met at the near post. The midfielder flicked a header wide towards the far post but the ball drifted wide and too far in front of the arriving Tobias Figueiredo to get a touch on it.

As the first half wore on, the game settled but it was finely poised with neither side willing to give anything away. Tom Lawrence flashed a ball across the face of goal just after the half-hour mark and Tomlin let fly from 25 yards on the stroke of half-time but it flashed just wide of Scott Carson's right-hand post.

The best opportunity of the half arrived in the 45th minute as The Reds were indebted to the fine goalkeeping of Costel Pantilimon. The Romanian pulled off a fine save to deny Weimann as he got in behind Ben Osborn and then moments later Lawrence's effort was hacked off the line via a combination of Pantilimon and Tendayi Darikwa.

The Reds came out strongly at the start of the second half and had a great opportunity on 48 which Ben Brereton squandered. The teenager was played through down the right by Cash and as he ran into the penalty area, he opted to square for Cash instead of shooting at goal but his pass lacked precision and Carson was able to claim.

Brereton then rose highest in the area to meet Ben Osborn's left-wing cross but he could only head over the bar under pressure from Richard Keogh and Curtis Davies in a rare chance for Forest as Derby began to control the game.

Bradley Johnson's powerful free kick from 25 yards on 76 minutes looked destined for the net until a Forest body got in the way to block it and then The Rams were reduced to ten men to set up an interesting finale.

Huddlestone was shown two yellow cards in quick succession, both for cynical fouls on Tomlin midway inside the Derby half, to give Forest a one-man advantage heading into the closing stages.

But The Reds couldn't capitalise as the three minutes of added time came and went, meaning that both sides had to settle for a point.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Figueiredo, Fox, Osborn, Watson (c), Colback, Cash, Tomlin, Lolley (Dowell 77'), Brereton (Murphy 85')

Unused subs: Kapino, Mancienne, Bridcutt, Vellios, Worrall

Bookings: Colback 33', Watson 75', Figueiredo 79', Darikwa 90'

Derby: Carson, Wisdom, Keogh (c), Davies, Forsyth, Huddlestone, Anya (Palmer 66'), Johnson, Weimann, Lawrence (Hanson 84'), Nugent (Jerome 66')

Unused subs: Roos, Pearce, Thomas, Bogle

Bookings: Lawrence 28', Huddlestone 78', 81'

Sent off: Huddlestone 81'

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 29,106 (1,995 away)

Advertisement block