Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leeds 0-0 Forest

1 January 2018

Nottingham Forest battled to a hard-fought point at Elland Road this afternoon with a goalless draw against Leeds United.

Both sides created chances in an evenly-contested affair but neither could find the finishing touch to secure all three points.

Following the departure of Mark Warburton, caretaker manager Gary Brazil made three changes to the side beaten by Sunderland on Saturday, with Armand Traore and Matty Cash coming into the side and Liam Bridcutt returning to face his former club.

It was a positive start from The Reds, beginning the game on the front foot and looking likely to create something. An opening arrived on eight minutes as Ben Brereton, playing in a central role, found himself with just Felix Wiedwald to beat inside the area but a stunning last-ditch covering tackle by Leeds captain Liam Cooper denied him.

But Forest almost shot themselves in the foot on 14 as Pontus Jansson arrived completely unmarked from a corner to head at goal and he would have put the home side ahead were it not for some fine goal-line defending by Kieran Dowell.

Dowell then had an impact at the other end of the pitch on 23 as he broke forward from midfield and hit a right-footed shot from the edge of the box which drifted harmlessly wide.

The Reds were looking solid in defence and also a threat on the counter attack, but after the break the home side came out with greater attacking intent.

Samuel Saiz's storming run from inside his own half led to the Leeds man teeing up Kemar Roofe for a strike at goal. The shot from the edge of the box beat Jordan Smith but crashed back off the crossbar and away from danger.

Forest responded well and looked capable of finding the decisive goal. Ben Osborn hit a shot from the edge of the box on 66 which Wiedwald did well to tip over the bar following a deflection, and Dowell also had an effort from just inside the area which he hit straight at the Leeds keeper.

As the game entered the closing stages, Leeds started to apply more pressure on the Forest goal and a fine save by Smith in the 84th minute kept the scores goalless. Saiz jinked past a couple of challenges before playing a pass through for Pablo Hernandez who took a touch before his shot was well stopped by the on-rushing Forest keeper.

Another chance came on 87 as half-time substitute Pierre-Michel Lasogga looped a header over Smith at the back post, but he didn't get enough power on it and Smith was able to gather on the goal line.

The Forest defence stood firm despite the late pressure and earned a valuable point, and clean sheet, on the road to start the New Year.

Forest: Smith, Lichaj, Worrall, Mancienne (c), Traore, Cash, Bridcutt, Osborn, McKay (Carayol 75'), Dowell, Brereton (Walker 60')

Unused subs: Henderson, Fox, Clough, Vaughan, Bouchalakis

Bookings: Lichaj 69', Carayol 85'

Leeds: Wiedwald, Ayling (Anita 26'), Cooper (c), Jansson, Berardi, O'Kane, Phillips, Hernandez, Alioski (Lasogga 46'), Saiz, Roofe (Sacko 80')

Unused subs: Lonergan, Cibicki, Shaughneessy, Klich

Bookings: Jansson 45', Saiz 90'

Attendance: 32,426 (917 away)

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Advertisement block