Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 0-1 QPR

22 December 2018

A first-half header from Toni Leistner saw Nottingham Forest defeated by Queens Park Rangers at The City Ground this afternoon.

The Reds were unfortunate not to get something from the game as they dominated proceedings, with Adlene Guedioura rattling the crossbar late on but a resolute Rangers defence held firm for their first ever victory on Trentside.

There was a scrappy opening to the match as both sides struggled to find any real rhythm. The first opening of the game arrived on 16 minutes with some neat passing in the final third by Forest allowing Guedioura time to shoot at goal but he dragged his left-footed effort wide of the target.

Some fine defending from Saidy Janko prevented Ebere Eze from converting a dangerous cross into the Forest box on 25 minutes and Joe Lolley fizzed an effort a couple of yards wide of the post just after the half-hour mark as the goalmouth action was limited.

It took until the 45th minute for Rangers to carve out a clear opportunity and they took the lead on the stroke of half-time through their captain. Luke Freeman's dangerous delivery into the penalty area from a free kick on the right was flicked into the far corner by Leistner as The Hoops took an advantage into the break.

At the start of the second half, Aitor Karanka made a bold move to bring on both Daryl Murphy and Karim Ansarifard as The Reds went on the attack.

It almost paid off on 63 minutes as Murphy charged down the right wing, beating his man to deliver a ball into the box from the byline which Lewis Grabban met in the six-yard box only to header over under pressure from a Rangers defender.

Forest threw everything at the QPR defence but couldn't create any clear openings as the visitors held firm.

Tendayi Darikwa found space on the right with 15 minutes to go but dragged the ball across the face of the goal and with 85 minutes on the clock a teasing cross from substitute Michael Hefele was just behind Grabban as he tried to convert in front of goal.

As the clock ticked over onto 90 minutes, Guedioura let fly with a thunderbolt of a strike from all of 30 yards out which produced a stunning fingertip stop from QPR keeper Joe Lumley to tip onto the crossbar.

But it wasn't to be Forest's day as the visitors came away with their first win at The City Ground.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Figueiredo (Hefele 75'), Robinson, Janko, Guedioura, Colback, Lolley (Murphy 55'), Carvalho, Osborn (c) (Ansarifard 55'), Grabban

Unused subs: Steele, Cash, Yacob, Dias

Bookings: Carvalho 43', Ansarifard 58', Robinson 78'

QPR: Lumley, Cousins, Furlong, Leistner (c), Bidwell, Luongo, Scowen, Eze (Hall 88'), Wszolek, Freeman, Wells (Smith 87')

Unused subs: Ingram, Oteh, Chair, Osayi-Samuel, Kakay

Goal: Leistner 45'

Booking: Luongo 65'

Referee: Gavin Ward

Attendance: 28,177 (1,414 away)

Advertisement block