Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Derby 0-0 Forest

17 December 2018

Nottingham Forest and Derby County played out a battling goalless draw at Pride Park as the East Midlands derby spoils were shared.

It was a well-fought contest between the two rivals, with Forest edging the chances including Joe Lolley's late strike which rattled the crossbar, but both sides had to settle for a point.

There was a tentative start to the match as both sides mustered half-chances. Jayden Bogle crashed a volley from the edge of the box straight at Costel Pantilimon on four minutes, before Lewis Grabban drove at goal on 15 only to see his low, driven effort well saved by Scott Carson.

A real competitive edge arrived on 20 minutes as strong tackles were going in across the pitch, but there lacked real quality from either side as the game struggled to find any real rhythm.

Tom Huddlestone failed to convert at the back post following a Derby corner on 24 minutes and the best chance of the half came on 44 minutes for The Reds. Joao Carvalho clipped a ball over the top for Grabban to run onto, he checked inside his man but saw his effort tipped narrowly round the post.

The Reds were just about edging it after their strong end to the first half, and Saidy Janko had a chance five minutes into the second half as he latched onto Ben Osborn's hooked through ball, only to blaze over from a tight angle.

With 65 minutes on the clock, there was the first meaningful efforts from either goalkeeper as Carson denied Joe Lolley with a superb save. The in-form Forest man cut inside from the right and curled an effort towards the top corner but the former England stopper palmed it over the crossbar.

The Rams had a great chance with a fine bit of play on 76 as Harry Wilson's stinging volley was well saved by Pantilimon, but it was on 82 minutes that Lolley thought he had given Forest the lead.

The winger exchanged passes with. Carvalho on the edge of the Derby area and hit a fine first-time effort which beat Carson but crashed off the top of the crossbar.

Daryl Murphy came off the bench as The Reds pushed for the winning goal, with Derby sub David Nugent forcing Pantilimon into a low save with a header as the game headed into injury time. There was to be no winner, however, as an evenly-fought match ended goalless at Pride Park.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Hefele, Robinson, Janko, Yacob, Colback, Lolley (Cash 90'), Carvalho, Osborn (c), Grabban (Murphy 83')

Unused subs: Steele, Guedioura, Watson, Dias, Ansarifard

Bookings: Hefele 33', Osborn 55', Colback 87'

Derby: Carson, Bogle, Keogh (c), Fimori, Malone, Huddleston, Mount (Holmes 85'), Bryson, Wilson, Lawrence (Nugent 74'), Marriott

Unused subs: Roos, Wisdom, Jozefzoon, Pearce, Evans

Bookings: Bryson 29', Bogle 45', Huddlestone 68'

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 31,160 (3,109 away)

Advertisement block