Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ladies: Huddersfield 4-1 Forest

10 December 2018

Nottingham Forest exited the FA WNL Cup on Sunday afternoon at the hands of Huddersfield Town as three second-half goals gave The Terriers victory.

Despite Katie Middleton drawing The Reds level on the stroke of half-time, the physical power of the home side proved to be too much as Huddersfield progressed to the next round.

The Terriers started the game brightly and carved an early opportunity in front of goal after only three minutes. A thundering effort came flying at The Reds’ goal but Rebecca Thomas pushed the strike on to the crossbar and Lyndsey Harkin cleared the ball away to safety. 

Huddersfield hit the woodwork once again as Brittany Sanderson smashed an outrageous shot in attempt to open the scoring. The crafty forward let fry from 25 yards out but her strike it came crashing back of the crossbar.

Forest had the ball in the back of the net in the 20th minute as Harkin hit a free-kick deep into the Town box. Trina Greaves had run free at the far post and nodded her headed effort past Oates but the offside flag was raised.

The Terriers responded well to Forest's threat and went a goal ahead in the 36th minute when Lucy Sowerby smashed her shot past Thomas from close range. 

The Reds drew level on the stroke of half-time as Middleton got the goal she had been searching for. Sophia Bonser slipped a terrific through-ball past the feet of the Town centre backs and through to Middleton and the youngster made no mistake as she rounded Oates and slotted her the ball over the line. 

The home side came out strongly in the second half and restored their lead after only eight minutes. Sanderson latched on to the end of a ball that went soaring over the heads of the Forest defence and had the job of clipping the ball over Thomas to regain the hosts' lead.

The Terriers extended their advantage to 3-1 in the 59th minute from the penalty spot. Georgia Hewitt brought down her man inside the area and Kate Mallin stepped up for her side and smashed her penalty kick past a helpless Thomas into the bottom left-hand corner.

The Terriers scored their fourth and final goal two minutes into stoppage time as Sowerby netted her second of the afternoon. The striker received the ball inside the Forest box and slotted her shot underneath Thomas to see The Terriers safely through to the next round.

Photos provided by Sidney Whitman.

Forest: Thomas, Wilson, Harkin (c), Walters, Hewitt (Adam 64’), Griffin (Munn 76’), Greaves, Constantinou, Bonser, Parnell (Brown 64’), Middleton 

Subs not used: Hallam, Tamsay

Goals: Middleton 45’

Bookings: Bonser 83’

Huddersfield: Oates, Boothroyd (Cahill 62’), Hope, Mallin (McCamon 76’), Abbott, Dobby (Ellis 62’), Nutter, Evans, Sowerby, Harris, Sanderson 

Subs not used: Hindwood, Pedgrson

Goals: Sowerby 36’, 90’ Sanderson 53’, Mallin 59’

Advertisement block