Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 3-1 Newcastle

29 August 2018

A dramatic finish at The City Ground saw Nottingham Forest book their place in the third round of the Carabao Cup with a 3-1 victory over Newcastle United.

Injury-time goals from Matty Cash and Gil Dias capped a frantic final few minutes as a fantastic display from The Reds saw them overcome the Premier League side.

Daryl Murphy put Forest in front inside two minutes and The Reds held firm until the second minute of injury time when Solomon Rondon fired The Magpies level, but the last-gasp strikes sent Aitor Karanka's men through.

Forest made the perfect start as Murphy broke the deadlock in the second minute against his former club. Sam Byram did brilliantly down the right-hand side, beating two players with a nutmeg before delivering a perfect cross onto the head of the Irish forward who nodded home from close range.

The Reds looked comfortable on the ball and a threat going forward as minutes later Byram delivered another dangerous right-wing cross which was headed clear, and Joe Lolley looked a constant threat as he jinked into the area on a couple of occasions before being crowded out by the Newcastle defence.

Murphy had another effort blocked in the area on 28 but The Reds had to be on guard at the back as The Magpies offered a big threat going forward. That threat almost brought them level on 36 as Joselu met a corner from the right at the near post but could only flick a header across the face of goal and wide of the target.

Lolley, Joao Carvalho and Gil Dias were at the centre of things going forward for The Reds, causing problems to the Newcastle back line and deservedly went in 1-0 up at the break.

It was almost two five minutes into the second half as Dias hit a rasping effort which was too hot for former Red Karl Darlow to hold in the Newcastle goal. He could only parry it and Murphy latched onto the loose ball but saw his goal-bound effort superbly blocked by Federico Fernandez.

From the resulting corner, an outswinging delivery by Lolley was met by the run of Michael Hefele but he could only head just wide while under pressure as The Reds went in search of the crucial second goal.

A moment of magic from Carvalho almost found it on 62 as he got on the end of a free-flowing move from The Reds and chipped a nonchalant effort over Darlow and onto the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Forest were defending superbly to keep the Premier League side at bay, with Hefele and Danny Fox imperious at the back and The Reds also continued to offer a great threat going forward.

Gil Dias showed some footwork to wriggle free of a challenge in the centre circle and drive towards goal on 74 but his shot drifted over the bar and on 78 he came even closer, firing agonisingly wide after some good work by Murphy to set him up.

Into injury time the game went and claims for offside fell on deaf ears as substitute Rondon picked the ball up on the right of the penalty area and drilled an effort across goal and in off the inside of the post to draw the game level.

But there was still time on the clock for The Reds to snatch the victory as excellent work by Dias kept the ball in play and his low cross was met by sub Matty Cash who lashed the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Forest's performance was deserving of passage through to the next round and it was sealed when Dias stole the ball off a Newcaslte defender to run through on goal and dink an effort over the on-rushing Darlow and book their place in Thursday's third-round draw.

Forest: Steele, Byram (Darikwa 39'), Hefele, Fox, Robinson, Watson (c), Bridcutt, Dias, Carvalho (Cash 82'), Lolley (Osborn 58'), Murphy

Unused subs: Pantilimon, Figueiredo, Goncalves, Appiah

Goals: Murphy 2', Cash 90', Dias 90'

Bookings: Dias 68', Hefele 76', Robinson 83'

Newcastle: Darlow, Sterry, Schar, Fernandez (Perez 69'), Clark (c), Atsu, Ki, Longstaff, Kenedy, Muto (Murphy 76'), Joselu (Rondon 82')

Unused subs: Elliot, Dummett, Diame, Yedlin

Goal: Rondon 90'

Bookings: Joselu 76', Longstaff 80', Perez 90'

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 13,942 (2,617 away)

Advertisement block