Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 2-1 Ipswich

14 April 2018

A last-minute winner from Joe Lolley secured a dramatic 2-1 win for Nottingham Forest against Ipswich Town at The City Ground this afternoon.

Without a goal for six games, it took until the 89th minute for Ben Brereton to convert from the penalty spot before Lolley's late heroics capped off a dominant Forest display.

Grant Ward's first-half opener had given the visitors the lead but it was Aitor Karanka's men who secured all three points with their last-gasp goals. 

The Reds were unchanged from the side that lost to Brentford on Tuesday night but Kieran Dowell was reintroduced to the squad as he took his place on the bench, replacing Barrie McKay.

It was a rather quiet opening nine minutes with neither side creating any clear-cut chances, but that all changed when Ben Osborn ran clear through on goal. A mix-up in the Ipswich defence allowed the left-back to intercept possession and charge through on goal, but he could only fire his effort straight at the goalkeeper.

Lolley was looking lively for The Reds once again and he forced Bartosz Bialkowski in the Ipswich goal into a good save before Brereton was also denied by the stopper and captain Ben Watson saw a header clip the outside of the post.

But it was the visitors who took the lead through  Ward on 38 minutes. A cross was fizzed in by Myles Kenlock and it found Ward who nodded home into the net, despite the best efforts of Costel Pantilimon to keep it out.

The Reds found themselves behind at the break and it could have been worse just five minutes into the second half as a clever free-kick routine from Ipswich nearly saw them double their lead. Martyn Waghorn's ball played through Luke Hyam who dragged his shot narrowly wide of the target. 

Ben Osborn had The Reds' first meaningful chance of the half on 61 minutes when he met Tendayi Darikwa's looping cross but his header would only bounce into the ground and over the bar, but Forest found it difficult to break through a resolute Town defence.

The City Ground needed something to get them off their feet and thanks to Lolley, they did. The winger took the ball and sprinted forward on 73 before eventually being dragged down winning The Reds a free-kick in a dangerous area. Lee Tomlin's free kick was off target but it got the home fans on their feet and urging their side forward. 

Time was running out for Forest and Lolley nearly caught out the Ipswich goalkeeper when he went for goal on the edge of the area but Bialkowski just about flicked it over the bar and a couple minutes later it was Brereton's turn to go close when he was played through by Lolley, but once again Bialkowski was equal to it and managed to deny the goal.

Finally, The Reds' pressure paid off in the 89th minute when Brereton won a penalty for his side. The forward was bundled over by Ward in the area and he coolly stepped up to fire it into the bottom corner via the post as the goal drought came to an end.

Forest sensed all three points and in the dying seconds they got their rewards as Lolley popped up with a superb winner, meeting Brereton's right-wing cross to fire past Bialkowski at his near post much to the delight of The City Ground faithful.

Forest: Pantilimon, Darikwa, Figueiredo, Fox, Osborn, Watson (c) (Bridcutt 78'), Colback, Guedioura (Cash 59'), Lolley, Tomlin (Vellios 78'), Brereton

Unused subs: Kapino, Lichaj, Mancienne, Dowell

Goals: Brereton pen 89', Lolley 90'

Booking: Brereton 81'

Ipswich: Bialkowski, Ward, Spence, Carter-Vickers, Knudsen, Kenlock, Skuse (c), Hyam (Gleeson 84'), Nydam (Connolly 57'), Waghorn, Morris (Carayol 56')

Unused subs: Crowe, Sears, Folami, Cotter

Goal: Ward 38'

Booking: Ward 73'

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 25,093 (1,015 away)

Advertisement block