Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Forest

9 September 2017

Nottingham Forest fell to defeat at Hillsborough as two second-half goals sealed the points for Sheffield Wednesday.

Ben Osborn had pulled Forest level in the first half after Gary Hooper's opener but the home side deservedly took the three points thanks to Steven Fletcher and Kieran Lee's goals.

After the defeat against Leeds prior to the international break, Mark Warburton made five changes to the side. Danny Fox and Jack Hobbs came into the defence, Zach Clough got the nod over Kieran Dowell in midfield while Ben Brereton and Jason Cummings led the attack in a 3-5-2 formation.

The home side came out firing and tested Jordan Smith three times inside the opening five minutes. Fletcher and Hooper both had efforts saved and their dominance forced The Reds boss into a tactical change early on.

On 10 minutes Forest created a chance of their own as Cummings stabbed the ball wide after good work from Brereton on the right-hand side.

The pressure from the home side was relentless and they did eventually find a break through on 22 minutes through Hooper. Smith's attempted clearance fell to the feet of Barry Bannan who slid in Hooper with a neat pass and the former Celtic man finished with ease to put The Owls ahead.

Despite all the early pressure and chances for the home side they failed to hold onto their lead as Osborn netted for the first time this season to level the scores. Barrie McKay played in the midfielder who skipped past a lunge from Joost van Aken and fired the ball underneath Kieran Westwood on 29 minutes.

In their effort to regain the lead, Wednesday continued to press the visitors which forced Mark Warburton to make a tactical change on 35 minutes, replacing Zach Clough with the more defensive Andreas Bouchalakis in midfield.

The introduction of the Greek international had an immediate impact as Forest began to control possession and they nearly went into the break with the lead through Brereton. The England Under 19s' man raced onto a long-field pass and drove a shot low and hard past Westwood only for the ball to go wide of the far post.

The second half began much more even with both sides looking comfortable on the ball and retaining possession well. Cummings beat the offside trap just before the hour mark but failed to beat Westwood from close range as the visitors went in search of their second.

That chance however seemed to galvanise the home side who began to look threatening with every attack. Ross Wallace in particular on the right was causing Forest problems, linking up well with former Red Jack Hunt.

The pressure from the home side paid off on 62 minutes when Fletcher rose highest from a corner to power home a header past Smith.

It was three for the home side with 20 minutes left to play as Hunt's ball into the box was cleared by Tendayi Darikwa, but only straight into captain Joe Worrall and the ball fell kindly for Lee who smashed home from close range.

Despite Lee's goal the visitors continued to try and find a way through Wednesday's defence, controlling possession but failing to create any real goalscoring opportunities as they suffered their second consecutive defeat.

Forest: Smith, Darikwa, Worrall (c), Hobbs, Fox, McKay, Bridcutt, Osborn, Clough (Bouchalakis 37'), Brereton (Dowell 64'), Cummings (Murphy 64')

Unused subs: Henderson, Mills, Traore, Carayol

Goal: Osborn 29'

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Hunt, Lees (c), van Aken, Reach, Wallace, Jones, Lee (Butterfield 75'), Bannan, Fletcher (Boyd 69'), Hooper (Rhodes 77')

Unused subs: Wildsmith, Palmer, Joao, Pudil

Goals: Hooper 23', Fletcher 63', Lee 70'

Booking: Wallace 75'

Attendance: 25,710 (2,103 away)

Referee: Andrew Madley

Advertisement block