Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Chelsea 5-1 Forest

20 September 2017

Nottingham Forest exited the Carabao Cup at the third-round stage following a 5-1 defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

A hat-trick from Michy Batshuayi and strikes from Kenedy and Charley Musonda secured The Blues' passage into the last 16 of the competition while Tendayi Darikwa scored a late consolation for Forest.

Mark Warburton rang the changes ahead of The Reds' trip to Stamford Bridge as they sought to bounce back from the weekend defeat to Wolves.

Ben Osborn, Joe Worrall and Kieran Dowell were the ones to keep their places in the starting line-up. Michael Mancienne returned to face Chelsea for the first time since leaving The Blues and was given the honour of captaining Forest. Stephen Henderson made his first appearance of the season, replacing Jordan Smith in goal, after a long period on the sidelines through injury.

It didn't take long for the champions to take control of the match and take the lead. After some patient build-up play, Antonio Rudiger chipped the ball to the back post where Kenedy was on hand to finish neatly on 13 minutes.

Six minutes later the home side doubled their advantage through Batshuayi. The Belgian was played through by his compatriot Eden Hazard and he slid the ball underneath an onrushing Henderson from inside the area.

Chelsea effectively killed off the tie five minutes before half-time when Musonda made it 3-0. The winger was again played through by Hazard and he blasted the ball past Henderson into the far corner from an angle.

Minutes after the interval, Chelsea made it 4-0 as Hazard grabbed a hat-trick of assists. The midfielder skipped through a couple of challenges and laid the ball to Batshuayi for the striker's second goal of the game. Hazard rounded Henderson and unselfishly squared the ball to his teammate who finished into an empty net.

Minutes after coming on, Ben Brereton nearly snatched a consolation for Forest. Andreas Bouchalakis chipped a ball over the Chelsea back line which Brereton ran on to, only to see his effort go wide. The striker was unable to test Caballero from a tight angle as his left-footed effort hit the side netting.

The home side always looked like adding to their tally and they duly obliged with five minutes remaining. Kenedy's thumping effort crashed off the bar and Batshuayi was there to claim his hat-trick and the home side's fifth goal of the night.

Forest did manage to grab a goal with the last kick of the match through second-half substitute Darikwa. The defender surged forward and played a neat one-two with Osborn before side-footing the loose ball home in front of over 4,000 travelling Forest fans.

Forest: Henderson, Worrall, Hobbs, Mancienne, Lichaj, Bouchalakis, Osborn, Dowell (Clough 74'), Fox (Darikwa 59'), Cummings, Walker (Brereton 65')

Goal: Darikwa 90'

Subs not used: Smith, McKay, Carayol, Vellios

Booking: Hobbs 21'

Chelsea: Caballero, Rudiger, Christensen (Clarke-Salter 71'), Cahill, Zappacosta (Sterling 76'), Fabregas (Ampadu 56'), Bakayoko, Kenedy, Musonda, Batshuayi, Hazard

Goals: Kenedy 13', Batshuayi 19', 53', 86', Musonda 40'

Subs not used: Eduardo, Moses, Willian, Morata

Attendance: 40,621 (4,036 away)

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh

Advertisement block