Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Birmingham 1-0 Forest

18 November 2017

An early strike from Che Adams proved to be the difference as Nottingham Forest fell to defeat against Birmingham City at St Andrew’s.

The Reds were dominant, particularly in the second half, but couldn't break down a resilient Blues back line who also had goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak to thank for a couple of good saves.

Mark Warburton made two changes to the side that convincingly beat QPR last time out at The City Ground, with Ben Brereton coming in for Daryl Murphy in attack and Tendayi Darikwa replacing Armand Traore in the back four.

It was a bright start from the home side who threatened early through Jota. The former Brentford man was given time and space on the edge of the area but saw his effort sail wide.

The warning signs were there for the visitors and on five minutes they found themselves behind. Adams was slid through by Maikel Kieftenbeld and the striker finished with style past Jordan Smith from a tight angle.

After a good spell of pressure from The Blues, Forest managed their first real threat on goal 14 minutes in. Kieran Dowell neatly controlled a loose ball before sending Brereton through on goal and the England man raced clear only to see his right-footed shot take a deflection and loop over the crossbar.

Forest were beginning to find their feet and control large periods of play. Dowell's effort from the edge of the area went inches past the host's goal after a deflection on the half-hour mark.

The home side always looked dangerous on the break however and, if not for some resolute defending from Worrall and Mancienne, they would have extended their lead before half time.

Forest came out to the second half with a sense of urgency, immediately forcing the home side onto the back foot.

Despite enjoying the majority of possession, chances were few and far between for The Reds. Warburton turned to Zach Clough and Jamie Ward from the substitutes' bench to try and force the equaliser.

It was fellow sub Jason Cummings though who had the best chance in the closing stages. Fresh from his first international cap for Scotland, the striker saw his right-footed effort brilliantly saved by Kuszczak, who somehow managed to turn the ball around his left-hand post.

Then in stoppage time, Kuszczak again came to the rescue for The Blues. Clough this time turning in the area and firing a left-footed shot towards goal, but the former Manchester United stopper got down well to smoother the ball.

Those saves proved to be vital for the hosts who managed to hold onto their first-half lead to claim all three points at St Andrews.

Forest: Smith, Darikwa, Worrall, Mancienne (c), Lichaj, Bridcutt, Osborn (Clough 67'), Walker (Cummings 85'), Dowell, McKay, Brereton (Ward 77')

Unused subs: Henderson, Mills, Cash, Bouchalakis

Bookings: Worrall 13', Dowell 56'

Birmingham: Kuszczak, Nsue, Roberts, Dean, Grounds, Kieftenbeld, Davis (c), Gleeson (Maghoma 46'), Gallagher, Jota (Ndoye 86'), Adams (Jutkiewicz 90')

Unused subs: Trueman, Boga, Cotterill, Morrison

Goal: Adams 5'

Bookings: Kieftenbeld 47', Dean 55'

Attendance: 21,071 (2,755 away)

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Advertisement block