Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield 0-4 Forest

22 July 2017

Jason Cummings opened his Nottingham Forest account as The Reds ran out 4-0 winners against Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

Two goals from Apostolos Vellios and another from Tyler Walker meant Forest cruised to their second pre-season victory inside a week.

Mark Warburton made a number of changes to the starting eleven after Wednesday's win against Notts County, with captain Chris Cohen returning to the starting line-up alongside Michael Mancienne and David Vaughan to get their first pre-season action.

Forest started the match on the front foot and nearly went ahead in the opening minute. Cohen's perfectly weighted pass found Cummings in space but the Scotsman dragged his effort wide of The Stags goal.

The Reds retained possession well with Mustapha Carayol on the left causing the home side concerns in every attack. The Gambian international, who was linking up well with Armand Traore, cut inside minutes later but couldn't keep his effort down.

Just before the half-hour mark, Forest took the lead through summer signing Jason Cummings. Osborn stole the ball from a Stags throw-in before Vaughan neatly slid in Cummings who fired into the top corner from just inside the area. It was an impressive finish from the forward who opened his account in a Forest shirt.

The visitors continued to push forward and create problems for the home side's defence and it was Carayol again who could, and perhaps should have, doubled The Reds lead. The midfielder met a cross supplied by Mancienne but failed to keep his header down as he was bearing down on goal.

The second half continued in the same fashion as the first, with Forest creating chances. Both Carayol and Ben Brereton went close on occasions shortly after the restart but failed to extend The Reds lead. The latter ran through the Mansfield defence before seeing his left footed effort tipped around the post by Conrad Logan.

Forest rang the changes on the hour mark, replacing all but two of the starting eleven, and it soon paid dividends as Tyler Walker doubled the advantage.

On 69 minutes, Walker pounced on a mix up in the Mansfield defence. Hayden White's attempted headed back-pass fell short and Walker rounded Logan to pass the ball into an empty net.

The home side enjoyed some possession of their own and created their best chance of the match when Jimmy Spencer was fed through on goal. The striker saw his effort from a tight angle well saved by Dimitar Evtimov. Omari Sterling-James then went even closer from a free-kick on the edge of the box, with his shot deflecting off the wall but the Bulgarian stopper produced a superb save to tip the ball over the bar.

The visitors effectively killed the game off on 81 minutes when Vellios bagged his second in as many matches. Jamie Ward found space wide on the right and cleverly passed the ball across the penalty box to the Greek forward who finished well from inside the area.

Vellios then doubled his tally in the final stages after another neat move from Forest, neatly finishing past the onrushing Logan in the Stags goal.

Overall, it was a useful exercise for the visitors as Mark Warburton prepares for the season opener against Millwall.

Forest: Smith, Mancienne, Hobbs, Worrall, Traore, Cohen, Vaughan, Osborn, Carayol, Brereton, Cummings

Subs: Evtimov, Mills, McKay, Clough, Ward, Lam, Bouchalakis, Walker, Vellios, Edser

Mansfield: Logan, Bennett, Diamond, Pearce, Hunt, Byrom, Potter, Mellis, Anderson, Angol, Rose

Subs: Olejnik, Benning, Digby, Atkinson, Taft, Spencer, White, Mirfin, Thomas, Sterling-James, Hamilton

Advertisement block