Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Classic matches: Forest v Bristol City

20 January 2017

Nottingham Forest have played out some classic matches against Bristol City at The City Ground - here are some of the best moments.

Saturday 11 April 2009
Nottingham Forest 3 (Earnshaw 32', Garner 83', Blackstock 90') Bristol City 2 (Sproule 13', Adebola 78')

Two late goals ensured Nottingham Forest overcame Bristol City 3-2 at The City Ground in the 2008-09 season to move away from the relegation spots in The Reds' first season back in the Championship after promotion. Robert Earnshaw equalised after Ivan Sproule gave The Robins the lead inside the opening quarter of an hour but Dele Adebola put City back in front in the second half. A second yellow card for full-back Jamie McAllister gifted Forest a chance and Joe Garner equalised with seven minutes to go before a superb Dexter Blackstock volley secured the win in stoppage time.

Tuesday 20 September 2005
Nottingham Forest 3 (Lester pen 25', Perch 27', Commons 55') Bristol City 1 (Gillespie 15')

Nottingham Forest came from behind to seal a 3-1 win over Bristol City to get their season back on track. Steven Gillespie gave The Robins the lead after 15 minutes with his first goal for the club, but The Reds hit back as Jack Lester converted from the penalty spot after Kris Commons was fouled. Lester was involved again two minutes later as his cross-shot was parried into the path of James Perch who tapped home to give Forest the lead. Commons hit a long-range effort into the bottom corner 10 minutes into the second half to create breathing space and seal the win which pushed The Reds towards the League One play-off spots.

Saturday 15 February 1992
Nottingham Forest 4 (Llewellyn OG, Clough, Pearce, Sheringham pen) Bristol City 1 (Dziekanowski)

Nottingham Forest progressed in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a comprehensive win over Bristol City at The City Ground. An unfortunate own goal by City defender Andy Llewellyn set The Reds on their way and Nigel Clough doubled the lead after the break as he scrambled the ball over the line after Stuart Pearce's free kick was saved. Pearce then added a third as he stuck home from close-range before Dariusz Dziekanowski pulled one back. It turned out to be just a consolation though as Teddy Sheringham completed the scoring from the penalty spot after Brian Laws was fouled in the area. Forest would go on to lose in the quarter-finals at the hands of Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Saturday 15 February 1989
Nottingham Forest 1 (Pender OG) Bristol City 1 (Mardon)

Third Division Bristol City survived an onslaught as they claimed a 1-1 draw in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final at The City Ground. The visitors went ahead through Paul Mardon's strike from the edge of the area, but defender John Pender put through his own goal as he attempted a back-pass to level the score ahead of the second leg at Ashton Gate. Forest would go on to win 2-1 on aggregate, with Garry Parker's goal in extra-time sealing The Reds' passage through to the final where they overcame Luton Town 3-1 at Wembley.

Advertisement block