Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest 0-2 Leeds

26 August 2017

Nottingham Forest suffered their first home defeat of the season in a disappointing display against Leeds United at The City Ground.

Goals from Kemar Roofe and Ezgjan Alioski sealed the win for the visitors as Mark Warburton's side failed to match their early-season form.

There was one change for The Reds from the side that beat Middlesbrough in their last league encounter as Liam Bridcutt made his debut against a Leeds side which he left to join Forest earlier this week.

It was a cagey first ten minutes of the match, with both sides looking strong in possession but struggling to find any sort of opening.

The first real chance of the match fell to the away side and they took it on 24 minutes. Forest failed to clear a free-kick and after the ball was headed back across goal by Alioski, Roofe was on hand to pounce and nod into the corner of the net to give the visitors the lead.

The home side were struggling to find any real momentum and were being restricted to long-range efforts. Kieran Dowell tried his luck with a chip after a mix-up in the Leeds defence but he put too much power on his effort and it didn't trouble Felix Wiedwald.

It took just five minutes of the second half for Mark Warburton to make his first change, with Andreas Bouchalakis being replaced by Ben Brereton, as the home side went in search of an equaliser.

Despite the introduction of Brereton, the visitors seemed in control and threatended Forest on the break through Saiz in particular on many occasions. Alioski also looked dangerous with the ball at his feet and he tested Jordan Smith from range but the Forest keeper got down well to gather the ball.

Warburton turned to Jason Cummings with 20 minutes to go in the hope that the Scotsman could continue the good form which saw him net a brace against Newcastle in midweek in the Carabao Cup.

However, it wasn't to be for The Reds as the visitors doubled their lead in the closing stages. Alioski picked up a loose ball and let fly from the edge of the box which arrowed into the corner of the net, beating Smith down to his right-hand side.

There was no coming back for the home side after that as Leeds looked for more on the break, with sub Stuart Dallas coming close on two occasions, but it was the Yorkshire side who left with all three points to end a disappointing afternoon for Forest.

Forest: Smith, Darikwa, Mills (c), Worrall, Traore, Bridcutt, Bouchalakis (Brereton 51'), McKay, Dowell, Osborn (Clough 63'), Murphy (Cummings 71')

Unused subs: Evtimov, Lichaj, Mancienne, Walker

Bookings: Mills 48', Bridcutt 56', Dowell 86'

Leeds: Wiedwald, Ayling, Cooper (c), Jansson, Anita, O'Kane, Phillips (Vieira 88'), Alioski, Hernandez (Grot 69'), Saiz, Roofe (Dallas 75')

Unused subs: Peacock-Farrell, Borthwick-Jackson, Shaughnessy, Klich

Goals: Roofe 24', Alioski 87'

Bookings: Hernandez 59', Ayling 82'

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 25,682 (Away 1,993)

Advertisement block