Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under 23s: Forest 0-2 Huddersfield

10 April 2017

Nottingham Forest Under 23s put in a hard-working display but fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Huddersfield Town this afternoon.

First-half goals by Harry Bunn and Ollie Dyson goals were the difference for a more experienced Huddersfield side as they secured the points to leapfrog Forest in the Professional Development League.

The Reds started the game on the front foot as one of two trialists got to the byline on five minutes and played a ball back for Virgil Gomis, but The Reds' forward could only scuff his shot wide of the target. Good work by Adam Crookes then saw the left-back tee up Gomis again but this time the shot was blocked as Forest looked to put down a marker.

Yassine En-Neyah almost got in on goal but was halted by a superb challenge by Danny Kane and appeals for a penalty for a handball were waved away by the referee on 18 minutes before Hildeberto Pereira had The Reds' best chance of the half. Pereira, playing just off Gomis as a second striker, skipped past a couple of challenges to find himself one-on-one with Joel Coleman but the keeper was equal to his low effort to tip clear.

A few minutes later and Huddersfield had the lead as the visitors won the ball high up the pitch. Bunn received the ball and charged at goal, riding a challenge and firing low past Jordan Wright.

Alex Iacovitti intercepted the ball brilliantly on 31 before taking a touch and letting fly with a great effort on goal from 35 yards which stung the palms of Coleman, but Huddersfield took their next chance as Dyson made it 2-0 on 38 minutes.

A corner to the back post was headed back into the middle of the goal by Bunn. Dyson controlled, held off a challenge and shot on the turn past Wright to create daylight between the two sides. 

The second half started on a sour note for The Reds as Jordan Gabriel left the field on a stretcher after picking a serious-looking injury following an innocuous challenge with Bunn. But Forest didn't let it affect them and searched for a way back into the game. 

Iacovitti glanced a header wide on 58 from a Toby Edser corner and Gomis played a dangerous low ball across the face of the goal following Edser's through ball on 62, but no one was there to tap home. Gomis's eyes lit up on 67 as substitute Aaron Smith played him in on goal and, just as he was about to pull the trigger, Huddersfield defender Danny Kane was on hand to knick the ball away. 

The Terriers were still a threat and a great free kick by Jack Boyle on 77 almost found their third goal as his strike from 30 yards beat the wall and Wright but landed just on the roof of the net. 

The Reds probed but coudn't break down Huddersfield's resolute rearguard and it was The Terriers who left with the three points.

Forest: Wright, Gabriel (Charlesworth 50'), Crookes, Edser (c), Ahmedhodzic, Iacovitti, En-Neyah, Trialist (A. Smith 62'), Gomis, Pereira, Trialist (Walters 72')

Unused subs: Marques, Preston

Bookings: Gomis 71', Ahmedhodzic 88'

Huddersfield: Coleman, Williams, Spencer, O'Brien, Edmonds Green, Kane, Bunn (Coughlan 68'), Booty (c) (Horsfall 46'), Dyson, Scannell (Carvalho 46'), Boyle

Unused subs: Ryan, Dalling

Goals: Bunn 26', Dyson 38'

Bookings: Spencer 71', Boyle 84', Edmonds Green 90'

Attendance: 100

Advertisement block