Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

QPR v Forest

29 April 2017

QPR 2-0 Forest

Nottingham Forest succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of QPR this afternoon as their fight against relegation goes to the final day of the season.

Rangers goalkeeper Alex Smithies pulled off several fine saves to deny The Reds but second-half goals from Conor Washington and Joel Lynch condemned Forest to defeat.

Mark Warburton initially named an unchanged side from the one that beat Reading last weekend, but an injury to Danny Fox in the warm-up meant Dani Pinillos slotted in at left back and Thomas Lam took his place on the bench.

It was a lively start to the game as both sides had chances early on. Jordan Smith made a brilliant save from Pawel Wszolek on six minutes after the QPR man jinked into the area. Smith then made a second good stop from Matt Smith's follow up and Joe Worrall cleared off the line as The Reds survived an early scare.

Mustapha Carayol was again lively for Forest down the left flank, causing former Red James Perch plenty of problems. The winger teed up Eric Lichaj for a shot which he blazed over on 13 then found space in the area himself after a great run two minutes later, only to see Alex Smithies produce a great save from his goal-bound effort.

The game calmed down and became a midfield battle after that as both sides struggled to create any clear-cut chances. Massimo Luongo tested Smith from 25 yards which the keeper was equal to and Lynch was well placed to clear Chris Cohen's knock-back after a Carayol cross.

The sides went in level at the break but it was the home side who came out of the blocks at the start of the second half. Matt Smith arrived unmarked in the area to head wide on 48 when he should have done better but Rangers didn't have to wait long to take the lead as Washington found the net a minute later.

The forward latched onto a through ball and calmly slotted an effort over the on-rushing Jordan Smith and into the far corner of the net.

On the hour-mark it was 2-0 to the home side as Lynch struck against his former club. A corner from the right wasn't cleared properly by The Reds and the second ball was played back into the area where Lynch met the ball in the six-yard box to nod into the corner.

Mark Warburton immediately made a triple change as Jamie Ward, Matty Cash and Matt Mills all came on, which saw a change to three at the back, and it almost paid dividends straight away as Ward's superb cross from the right was too far in front of Britt Assombalonga. 

On 68 minutes The Reds almost found a way back into the game as Joe Worrall's header was cleared off the line and Ward's follow-up effort from the edge of the box was spilled by Smithies, with the ball almost squeezing over the line but a QPR defender was on hand to lash clear.

A massive chance arrived on 75 minutes as Cash and Ward linked up well on the edge of the QPR area. A one-two saw Cash played through on goal but he rushed his effort, firing wide of Smithies' near post when Assombalonga was well-placed in the middle of the goal.

Forest came forward again and Mills won a free kick on the edge of the QPR area with ten minutes to go. Ward laid the ball off for Chris Cohen to strike; his effort was blocked and the ball fell for David Vaughan who saw his powerful effort tipped round the post as The Reds were once again denied by Smithies.

The Rangers goalkeeper was in inspired form and once again denied Forest as the game entered injury time. Jamie Ward's pull-back from the byline was met by Cash ten yards out and Smithies produced a superb reaction stop to keep the ball out of the net.

QPR kept The Reds at bay as the game ended 2-0 to the hosts, leaving Forest in need of a result on the final day of the season against Ipswich Town.

Forest: Smith, Lichaj, Worrall, Mancienne, Pinillos (Mills 61'), Vaughan, Cohen (c), Brereton (Cash 61'), Osborn, Carayol (Ward 61'), Assombalonga

Unused subs: Evtimov, Tshibola, Lam, Vellios

Bookings: Osborn 72', Vaughan 76', Ward 80'

QPRSmithies, Perch, Lynch, Onuoha (c), Bidwell, Wszolek, Luongo, Freeman (Doughty 82'), Manning, Washington (Mackie 65'), Smith (Ngbakoto 82')

Unused subs: Ingram, Lualua, Furlong, Sylla

Goals: Washington 49', Lynch 60'

Bookings: Onuoha 4', Manning 57'

Attendance: 16,474 (Away 1,823)

Referee: James Linington

Advertisement block