Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol City v Forest

1 October 2016

Bristol City 2-1 Forest

Nottingham Forest's poor recent run continued as two goals in ten minutes saw Bristol City earn a 2-1 victory at Ashton Gate this afternoon.

Apostolos Vellios had put Forest in front in the first half but goals from Tammy Abraham and former Forest man Jamie Paterson were enough to maintain The Robins' impressive form.

Philippe Montanier made five changes from the midweek draw against Fulham at The City Ground. Chris Cohen and Henri Lansbury returned to the squad in place of David Vaughan and Mustapha Carayol respectively.

Vellios replaced Nicklas Bendtner as the lone striker while Lica made his first start for The Reds at the expense of Nicolao Dumitru. Matt Mills replaced the injured Michael Mancienne who picked up a knock from the midweek match.

The opening 20 minutes of the game passed without any clear-cut chances for either side. The home team were more comfortable with the ball but the Forest back four were able to keep the in-form Abraham, on loan from Chelsea, relatively quiet.

Instead on 33 minutes it was Forest frontman Vellios who gave the visitors the lead. After Danny Fox sent Ben Osborn clear on the left, the midfielder managed to pick out Lansbury at the back post. Fresh from his one match suspension, Lansbury nodded the ball across the six-yard box and Vellios was there to turn and poke the ball home to give the visitors the lead and claim his fourth goal of the campaign.

Forest went close again in stoppage time at the end of the first half when Eric Lichaj’s effort from the edge of the area was deflected inches over Frank Fielding’s crossbar.

The home side again enjoyed the majority of possession after the break but it was the away side who went close to doubling their lead. Vellios, who has created a reputation for scoring spectacular goals, unleashed a fierce shot from well outside the area only to see his left-foot strike narrowly clear the crossbar.

The hosts created their best chance of the match so far on 57 minutes when Paterson went close with a deflected shot from the edge of the area. Abraham's initial effort was blocked and the ball fell to Paterson whose effort was gathered at the second attempt by Stojkovic.

Lee Johnson's side were growing in confidence and made the pressure pay on 65 minutes. Lansbury’s misplaced back pass went straight to Abraham, he rounded Stojkovic and side-footed home from a tight angle to square the match.

The Robins were in the ascendancy and four minutes later took the lead through Paterson. The former Forest man joined City for an undisclosed fee during the summer and haunted his old club as he finished off a sweeping attack in style with a left-foot volley from just inside the visitors' box.

Forest did have an opportunity late on after a misplaced pass by Callum O’Dowda fell straight to the feet of substitute Bendtner. After the Dane’s initial effort was blocked he managed to gather the rebound but failed to keep his second attempt down as Forest were beaten in the South West.

Forest: Stojkovic, Lichaj, Mills, Perquis (Lam 46'), Fox, Cohen (c), Lica (Bendtner 76'), Lansbury, Kasami, Osborn (Traore 89'), Vellios

Subs not used: Henderson, Dumitru-Cardoso, Vaughan, Grant

Goal: Vellios 33'

Bookings: Fox 23', Osborn 60'

Bristol CityFielding, Moore (Wilbraham 46'), Flint, Magnusson, Golbourne, Pack (O'Neil 46'), Brownhill, Paterson, Reid (Bryan 83'), O'Dowda, Abraham

Subs not used: O'Donnell, Matthews, Freeman, Engvall 

Goals: Abraham 65', Paterson 69'

Bookings: Reid 24', O'Neil 59', Abraham 66'

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 18,922 (1,429 away)

Advertisement block