Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackburn 2-1 Forest

18 October 2016

Nottingham Forest's problems away from home continued as they were beaten 2-1 by Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park this evening.

A first-half brace from Rovers striker Sam Gallagher ensured the hosts claimed all three points on a frustrating night for The Reds despite a late consolation goal from Damien Perquis.

Head coach Philippe Montanier made two changes from the side that beat Birmingham City on Friday night. Apostolos Vellios came in for the injured Nicklas Bendtner while Hildeberto Pereira replaced Armand Traore in defence.

The hosts, who were without a win in three matches, started confidently despite difficult conditions at Ewood Park. 

It took them just 11 minutes to go ahead through Gallagher who took advantage of some indecisive defending by The Reds. The striker raced on to a ball played over the top by Marvin Emnes as the Forest defence looked for offside. The flag stayed down and Gallagher found himself one-on-one with Stojkovic and calmly slotted the ball underneath the Serbian international.

Buoyant after their impressive start, Rovers continued on the front foot and midfielder Craig Conway then tried his luck from the edge of the area but saw his effort clear the crossbar.

The visitors did manage to create a chance of their own on 24 minutes after good work from Mustapha Carayol. The former Middlesbrough man beat one man before pulling the ball back to Vellios but the striker failed to keep his shot down. 

Both sides had chances as the half wore on. Gallagher and Emnes tried their luck from range but neither were able to test Stojkovic in the Forest goal while fresh from scoring his first goal of the season against Birmingham, Eric Lichaj went close with a right-footed drive from just outside the hosts' penalty area.

However it was Rovers who doubled their lead just before half-time. Corry Evans ran on to a pass which spilt the Forest defence and found himself with room inside the visitors' box. Unselfishly he squared the ball back to Gallagher who side-footed in from close range for his and the hosts' second of the match.

The visitors came out after the break in need of a goal and it was Vellios who nearly delivered. Lichaj did well down the left-hand side and whipped over a cross to find Vellios only to see his header go straight into the arms of Steele. 

Forest continued to dominate with most of the play coming in the home side's half. Lansbury tried his luck from range before Matt Mills saw his header from a Ben Osborn free-kick sail wide. 

The visitors introduced Britt Assombalonga to try and find that elusive goal but it was another substitute, Nicolao Dumitru, who went closest. After a neat exchange of passes involving Mills and Vellios, Dumitru ran on to a through ball but pulled his effort across the face of the goal from close range.

Forest did eventually find a goal through an unlikely source in stoppage time as Perquis slotted home from close range to give The Reds hope with minutes left on the clock. All hope was lost however when Hildeberto Pereira was sent off for a second yellow after a mistimed tackle.

Forest: Stojkovic, Pereira, Mills, Perquis, Lichaj, Carayol (Dumitru-Cardoso 44'), Cohen (c), Lansbury, Vaughan (Kasami 25'), Osborn (Assombalonga 74'), Vellios

Subs not used: Henderson, Traore, Lam, Grant

Goal: Perquis 90'

Bookings: Pereira 9', 90', Mills 90'

Sent off: Pereira 90'

: Steele, Hoban, Williams, Lowe (c), Marshall (BlackburnMulgrew 71'), Emnes (Feeney 89'), Gallagher, Guthrie, Lenihan, Evans, Conway

Subs not used: Raya, Stokes, Samuelsen, Akpan, Bennett

Goals: Gallagher 11', 44'

Bookings: Lenihan 75', Feeney 90', Gallagher 90'

Referee: Tim Robinson

Attendance: 10,462 (868 away)

Advertisement block