Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Nottingham Forest Under 23s 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday Under 23s

1 November 2016

Dani Pinillos made his return from injury as Nottingham Forest Under 23s drew 0-0 with Sheffield Wednesday at Alfreton Town's Impact Arena.

The left-back played 45 minutes on his comeback after injuring his knee in December last year, in a game which saw Toby Edser red carded as both sides were reduced to ten men.

The Reds had much of the opening play with the ball predominantly in the Wednesday half. The first half-chance fell to Ben Brereton on 13 minutes, with his shot from the right dragged just wide of the far post.

Anthony Wright forced the first save of the game after good work by Brereton on 20, as the forward jinked past a couple of challenges before the ball came to Wright on the edge of the area and his spin and volley was tipped round the post by Wednesday keeper Dan Wallis.

The opening half-hour was played at a good tempo with both sides competing for the ball, and the Forest midfield pairing of Toby Edser and Kyle McClean impressed as they kept the ball moving and won it back for The Reds.

Forest came close again on 40, as a poor clearance by Wallis fell to Edser in the centre circle and the captain picked out Yassine En-Neyah on the right, but the winger dragged his shot wide of the far post.

Pinillos played 45 minutes on his return from injury and played well as he travelled up and down the left flank, putting in a couple of dangerous crosses before being replaced at half-time by Danny Preston.

Wednesday looked more lively after the break, with two good clearances firstly from Fred Nielsen and secondly from Choz Charlesworth preventing chances within the first five minutes of the second half.

A chance fell to the visitors’ midfielder Connor O’Grady on 57, as a dangerous free-kick was glanced goalwards by the centre back but blocked by Forest keeper Tim Erlandsson.

Forest started to come forward on the hour mark, with Wright failing to connect with a shot after he was found in space on the left-hand side of the area by Brereton, and Nielsen could not get a good contact on a header from a corner.

Matt Penney went close with a free-kick for Wednesday on 67 as he fired a left-footed effort over Erlandsson’s bar from 20 yards.

A strong 50-50 challenge between Edser and Wednesday captain Jack Stobbs led to a coming together with the majority of the players on the pitch, with referee Robert Massey-Ellis judging that both skippers should be shown red cards after 73 minutes.

Neither side managed to create any clear-cut chances in the closing stages, as both sides had to settle for a point in the Professional Development League.

Forest: Erlandsson, Charlesworth, Pinillos (Preston 46’), Nielsen, Ahmedhodzic, McClean (Re 80’), En-Neyah, Edser, Brereton, Otim, Wright (Gomis 80’)

Unused subs: Marques, Willetts

Wednesday: Wallis, Clarke, Thorniley, Kirby, Dielna (Preston 63’), O’Grady, Stobbs, Murphy, Rodney (Hirst 53’), Clare, Penney

Unused subs: Centeno, Walker, Hayford

Attendance: 232

Advertisement block