Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Derby v Forest

19 March 2016

Derby 1-0 Forest

Nottingham Forest suffered a 1-0 defeat in this afternoon's East Midlands derby at the iPro Stadium.

Marcus Olsson's 79th-minute strike was the difference on an afternoon when Forest continued to show promising signs under the temporary charge of Paul Williams.

The head coach declared himself proud of Forest's performance at Hull in midweek, so there were no surprises when he named an unchanged team at the iPro.

That meant Federico Macheda continued as Forest's front man, while Chris Cohen remained in central midfield.

Former Derby forward Jamie Ward made a welcome return to a Forest bench which also included Danny Fox, Kelvin Wilson, Robert Tesche, Oliver Burke and Dexter Blackstock.

The Reds made a strong start to the match and had the first two shots in the form of long-range Gary Gardner efforts, the first fizzing well wide and the second comfortably clearing Scott Carson's crossbar.

Derby were being frustrated by their rivals, who were pressing the ball high up the field but leaving few gaps for the promotion-chasing Rams to exploit.

The home side had to wait until the 25th minute for their first glimpse of goal. Olsson delivered an excellent cross from the left but the ball just evaded Chris Martin at the back post.

Former Forest loanee Tom Ince was the next man to try his luck when Matt Mills fouled Jeff Hendrick 22 yards out. He could only curl the ball into the wall.

Nine minutes before the break Ince sent the ball whistling just over the bar with a shot from range - the final action of a promising first half for Forest.

There were no changes for either side at the break and it was Derby who claimed the first shot of the half when Bradley Johnson drilled the ball low and wide from 25 yards.

Forest responded when Osborn raced down the left before being brought to a shuddering halt by Jamie Hanson. The Derby man went into the book for the foul and Gardner glanced a header wide from Chris Cohen's free-kick. Within a minute, Ryan Mendes joined Hanson in the book after fouling Olsson.

Williams made his first change shortly after the hour when Ward replaced Cohen and the substitute's former employers had a chance to take the lead shortly after his arrival when Ince checked on to his right foot in the area and lashed the ball goalwards. Dorus de Vries did well to hang on to it.

Burke was the next man on, replacing Macheda on 70 minutes, but there was nothing the youngster could do to prevent the home side taking the lead nine minutes later. Left back Olsson's forward run went unnoticed and the Rams worked the ball to him in the area. The Swede stroked it low across goal and into the far corner of the net.

Forest now had limited time to find an equaliser. Tensions were high and Mills and Richard Keogh found themselves in the book for their part in an altercation following a Forest corner.

Williams' final change saw Blackstock replace Mendes, with Burke switching out to the right.

Five minutes were added at the end of the match, in the first of which Osborn was denied another late moment of glory at the iPro when George Thorne slid in to block the midfielder's shot on the edge of the area.

Ward had the slightest glimpse of goal moments later, latching on to Blackstock's flick-on, but, tightly marked, he could only scuff the ball straight at Carson.

He had another half-chance at the death when Lichaj's long throw wasn't cleared properly and the ball bounced to him just outside the area. With a wall of bodies in front of him, however, Ward sent it wide and the match ended 1-0.

Forest: De Vries, Lichaj, Mancienne, Mills (c), Jokic, Mendes (Blackstock 85'), Cohen (Ward 64'), Gardner, Vaughan, Osborn, Macheda (O.Burke 70')

Subs not used: Evtimov, Wilson, Fox, Tesche

Bookings: Mendes 55', Mills 84'

DerbyCarson, Olsson, Keogh (c), Shackell (Buxton 82'), Hanson (Christie 90'), Johnson (Russell 64'), Hendrick, Bryson, Ince, Thorne, Martin

Subs not used: Grant, Butterfield, Weimann, Bent

Goal: Olsson 79'

Bookings: Hanson 53', Keogh 84'

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 33,010 (3,095 away)

Advertisement block