Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Millwall v Forest

23 August 2016

Millwall 1-2 Forest

A late strike from Lars Veldwijk was enough to secure Nottingham Forest's passage to the third round of the EFL Cup after a 2-1 win over Millwall at The Den.

Jamie Paterson opened the scoring in South London but saw his effort cancelled out by a wonder-strike from Shaun Williams but Veldwijk popped up with three minutes to play to score his first goal for the club and send Forest into the third round.

Philippe Montanier made nine changes from the win over Wigan Athletic as Stephen Henderson and Thomas Lam were the only survivors from Saturday's dramatic victory at The City Ground. Twenty-year-old academy graduate James Thorne made his senior debut, taking his place on the right-hand side of a midfield four.

Thorne was the first man in the referee's notebook for a late challenge on Shane Ferguson with only four minutes played after Millwall had had the first effort of the game. Jamie Philpot struck a shot from 25 yards which Damien Perquis did well to block round the post for a corner.

Both sides were showing plenty of endeavour in the opening stages but struggled to create any clear-cut chances. Ferguson picked up the ball in space 30 yards from goal but shot wide of Henderson's right-hand post.

With ten minutes to play in the first half Forest grabbed the advantage. Thorne played the ball to Jamie Ward down the left-hand channel, he stood a ball up to back post which Veldwijk headed towards goal and after goalkeeper Tom King had palmed the effort away, Paterson was there to fire home the rebound.

Henderson was called into action with the final kick of the first half and it was he who kept The Reds ahead. The ball fell kindly to Jimmy Abdou who had been left alone inside the box but Henderson made an excellent close-range stop to deny the Millwall midfielder. David Vaughan was able to block Gregg Wylde's effort on the rebound.

Montanier made his first change of the evening at half-time with Oliver Burke coming on in place of Thorne who had put in a hard-working performance in the opening 45 minutes.

Millwall started well in the second half and had the better of the early opportunities. Ferguson's well-weighted cross found the head of Philpot but he couldn't direct his headed towards Henderson's goal and Forest cleared.

Veldwijk had put in a decent shift all evening and he looked like he'd got his goal midway through the second half. After latching on to a poor back-pass he rounded the goalkeeper but Byron Webster was on hand to get back and clear the dangerous before the Dutchman could slot the ball into the net.

The home side levelled matters with 13 minutes to play courtesy of Williams' excellent strike. Having spotted Henderson off his line, the midfielder hit a shot from the halfway line which looped over the Forest goalkeeper into the net to restore parity.

But Forest weren't about to take that lying down and Veldwijk found the winner on 87 minutes. Burke's tremendous ball split the Millwall defence to find Veldwijk and the striker kept his head over the ball and drilled it past King into the far corner to secure The Reds' place in tomorrow's third-round draw.

Forest: Henderson, Lichaj, Mills, Perquis, Lam (Pereira 68'), Paterson (Cash 90'), Lansbury (c), Vaughan, Ward, Thorne (Burke 46'), Veldwijk

Subs not used: Smith, Mancienne, Grant, Vellios

Goals: Paterson 35', Veldwijk 87'

Booking: Thorne 6'

Millwall: King, Thompson (Williams 73'), Onyedinma (Worrall 45'), Wylde, Romeo, Nelson, Webster, Ferguson, O'Brien (Morison 60'), Abdou, Philpot

Subs not used: Archer, Craig, Martin, Worrall, Twardek

Goal: Williams 77'

Booking: Ferguson 79'

Referee: Gavin Ward

Attendance: 4,009 (707 away)

Advertisement block