Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Forest 3-1 Leeds

27 August 2016

Nottingham Forest went into the international break in style courtesy of an impressive 3-1 victory over Leeds United at The City Ground this afternoon.

Goals from Pajtim Kasami, Damien Perquis and Oliver Burke secured all three points for The Reds as they secured a third consecutive win in all competitions heading into the two-week international break.

Head coach Philippe Montanier made seven changes from the midweek EFL Cup win at Millwall. Kasami, Pereira, Vellios, Perquis, Osborn, Burke and Cohen came into the side with latter being named as captain for the afternoon.

Both teams came into the game in good form after back-to-back wins and it was the hosts who controlled the contest in its early stages. Osborn's corner was flicked on at the near post by Burke but Rob Green made a good save on the line to push the ball away.

Forest did manage to convert their next opportunity from a corner on 16 minutes when Lansbury's delivery found Kasami at the back post. The midfielder managed to stretch in front of his man and volley the ball back across goal into the top corner. It was the Swiss international's first goal for the club since his arrival in the summer.

The visitors ended the first half in the ascendancy and Stephen Henderson was called into action on the stroke of half-time. Marcus Antonsson fired a left-foot strike across goal in first-gal stoppage time but the Forest goalkeeper got down well and gathered the ball.

Garry Monk's side started the second half how they had ended the first and it was Chris Wood who found space on the edge of the area but his right-foot effort went high and wide of the target.

Ten minutes later the visitors broke again but Forest's defence remained solid once more. Eric Lichaj bravely cleared the ball with his head at the back post by out-jumping Wood and Antonsson and the American defender took a hit on the back of the head in the process.

Forest had moved the ball superbly all afternoon but it was a set-piece which doubled their lead. Perquis powered into the area and sent a thumping header past Green and into the net to score his first goal for the club.

Leeds were rewarded for their efforts on 82 minutes when substitute Kalvin Phillips fired in a free-kick from 30 yards. The midfielder crashed home a long-range curling effort into the top corner leaving Henderson with no chance.

Any nervous ending was seen off in stoppage time though as Burke struck for his fourth goal of the season. The winger raced into the Leeds penalty area and, from a tight angle, slotted the ball under Green's body to give Forest a superb victory and send the City Ground crowd home happy.

Forest: Henderson, Pereira, Mancienne, Perquis (Mills 78'), Lichaj, Cohen (c), Burke, Lansbury, Kasami, Osborn, Vellios (Cash 83')

Subs not used: Smith, Traore, Veldwijk, Ward, Vaughan, 

Goals: Kasami 16', Perquis 71, Burke 90'

LeedsGreen, Ayling, Cooper, Bartley, Taylor, Bridcutt, Vieira (Phillips 66'), Hernandez (Mowatt 81'), Sacko (Roofe 70'), Antonsson, Wood

Subs not used: Silvestri, Coyle, Jansson, Doukara

Goal: Phillips 83'

Bookings: Vieira 36', Bridcutt 65'

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Attendance: 20,995 (1,925 away)

Advertisement block