Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brighton 3-0 Forest

12 August 2016

Nottingham Forest slipped to their first defeat of the season as they were beaten 3-0 by Brighton and Hove Albion at the Amex Stadium.

Anthony Knockaert opened the scoring for last season's play-off semi-finalists in the first half before Glenn Murray sealed the victory with a brace after the interval leaving Forest to rue missed opportunities.

After making nine changes for the midweek win at Doncaster, head coach Philippe Montanier rang the changes again ahead of the trip to the south coast.

Dutch striker Lars Veldwijk made his first appearance of the season along with Michael Mancienne in place of Apostolos Vellios and Matt Mills respectively. Pajtim Kasami came in for David Vaughan with Henri Lansbury taking the armband from Chris Cohen. Thomas Lam, who was scheduled to start, suffered with a migraine in the warm-up and was replaced by Alex Iacovitti.

Forest started the brighter of the two teams and it was Veldwijk who found space in the box but failed to convert his chance. The Dutchman was able to turn in the area but was closed down before he could get a shot at goal.

The hosts' main threat came from Knockaert whose direct approach was a cause for concern for The Reds. As the half wore on few chances were created by either side until Oliver Burke’s solo effort saw him shoot just wide on the half-hour mark. 

Burke collected the ball from inside his own half and outpaced three Brighton players only to see his right-foot effort miss the far post by inches.

Five minutes later it was the hosts who grabbed the advantage. Full-back Gaetan Bong’s perfect cross found Knockaert inside the six-yard box and the Frenchman was able to side-foot the ball home.

Five minutes into the second half Forest managed their first shot on target when Kasami tried his luck from well outside the area forcing keeper David Stockdale to get down to his right to make the save.

Brighton doubled their lead on 67 minutes when a free-kick from the left found Kayal who headed across the box leaving Murray with a simple tap-in.

Forest did create a chance of their own when good work by Traore led to Kasami finding space outside the box and his right-foot shot brought a good save from Stockdale as Veldwijk was unable to convert the rebound.

Brighton then sealed all three points when Murray netted his second and the Seagulls' third on 81 minutes. It was more good work from Baldock who pulled the ball back from the by-line for Murray to side foot home.

That goal was enough to put the result beyond any doubt as Forest crashed to a disappointing defeat in East Sussex and leave them with work to do ahead of Tuesday night's trip to Brentford.

Forest: Henderson, Pereira, Perquis, Mancienne, Iacovitti (Paterson 74'), Burke (Vellios 78'), Kasami, Lansbury (c), Osborn, Ward (Traore 62'), Veldwijk

Subs not used: Smith, Vaughan, Lichaj, Cash

Bookings: Kasami 45', Iacovitti 59', Burke 67', Pereira 74'

Brighton: Stockdale, Rosenior, Bruno (c), Dunk, Bong, Knockaert, Kayal (Stephens 75'), Sidwell, Skalak (Norwood 83'), Hemed (Baldock 75'), Murray

Subs not used: Maenpaa, White, Murphy, LuaLua, 

Goals: Knockaert 36', Murray 68', 82'

Bookings: Bong 43', Hemed 58', Baldock 88'

Referee: Andrew Madley

Attendance: 25,748 (1,235 away)

Advertisement block