Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brentford 1-0 Forest

16 August 2016

Nottingham Forest were beaten by Scott Hogan's goal to nil as Brentford claimed victory at Griffin Park this evening.

Hogan netted the winner just before the half-hour mark despite Stephen Henderson's two world-class saves in the build-up while Forest defender Damien Perquis was sent off late on for two bookable offences.

Philippe Montanier made five changes to the side beaten at Brighton on Friday night as Lichaj, Mills, Fox, Vaughan and Vellios came in for Mancienne, Iacovitti, Burke, Ward and Veldwijk. Chris Cohen, Thomas Lam and new dad Britt Assombalonga came on to the bench.

Brentford came into the match on a high after beating Ipswich 2-0 on Saturday and it was the hosts who started the better of the two teams.

And a couple of minutes in Nico Yennaris went close for the Bees with a right-foot shot. The midfielder found some room on the edge of the area but pulled his effort wide of Henderson's post.

Brentford continued to press but it was Forest who created a chance of their own on 24 minutes when captain Henri Lansbury hit a fierce right-foot shot straight at Daniel Bentley in the home goal.

Three minutes later Forest had another effort on target when, after a long clearance from Henderson, the ball ran through to Pereira who managed to get in between two Brentford defenders but fired wide.

But it was the hosts who made their possession count when after two brilliant saves from the Forest keeper the ball trickled across Forest’s six-yard box leaving Hogan an easy finish into an unguarded net.

Dean Smith's nearly doubled their lead through a free kick from Lewis Macleod which was deflected just wide. From the resulting corner Hogan found himself unmarked but was unable to find the target.

Forest started the second half brightly, winning a succession of corners early on but failed to create any real clear-cut chances.

Against the run of play it was Brentford who again nearly doubled their lead when Macleod rattled the crossbar from the edge of the box. The ball fell nicely for the midfielder and his curling shot had Henderson beaten only to see the ball strike the woodwork.

Minutes later it was the visitors who created a chance of their own when Fox found Pereira on the left-hand side, he turned his man and cut inside only to see his shot go straight at Bentley.

Forest then had their best opportunity of the match when, after a long ball over the top of the Brentford defence, Pereira found himself one-on-one with the keeper but neither he nor Osborn were able to direct the ball into an empty net.

As the half wore on Forest grew in confidence and it was Osborn in particular who was finding space on the left. The midfielder got behind the Brentford defence on numerous occasions only to find a second wave of defence on hand for the hosts.

Two minutes from time Sawyers broke clear for Brentford and was brought down by Perquis. The defender, who was booked earlier on in the half for dissent, received a second yellow card and Forest would see out the remaining minutes with ten men.

Despite relentless pressure on the Brentford goal and a late chance for substitute Assombalonga the visitors were unable to get an equaliser and fell to their second consecutive defeat.

Forest: Henderson, Lichaj, Mills, Perquis, Fox (Burke 66'), Pereira, Vaughan (Assombalonga 72'), Lansbury, Kasami, Osborn, Vellios

Subs not used: Smith, Mancienne, Cohen, Lam, Cash

Bookings: Mills 40', Perquis 60', 87' Pereira 83'

Red cards: Perquis 87'

Brentford: Bentley, Colin, Elder, Macleod (Saunders 82'), Dean, Yennaris, Hogan, Egan, Woods, Sawyers, Clarke

Subs not used: Kurasic, Bjellend, McEachran, Hofmann, Kerschbaumer, Ledesma

Goals: Hogan 28'

Bookings: Colin 60', Egan 68', Woods 71'

Referee: Tim Robinson

Attendance: 10,004 (1,614 away)

Advertisement block