Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

18s fall to Leeds defeat

3 September 2015

Jake Taylor netted his first goal of the season as Nottingham Forest's Under 18s lost 3-1 to Leeds United on Tuesday.

The Reds took a one-goal lead into the second half at The Nigel Doughty Academy but Leeds came out of the blocks in ruthless fashion to secure all three points.

And Forest made a decent start to the encounter, probing the visitors with slick balls to feet towards forwards Kieran Hayes and Ben Brereton, although they struggled to really get in behind the West Yorkshire outfit's back line.

Nielsen had the first genuine opportunity of the contest but the tall Danish centre back headed just wide of the post from Adams' inswinging cross. And that would be the only chance for quite a while as both sides lacked composure in possession, leading to moves breaking down.

Nielsen and Gabriel were performing stoutly at the back and mopping up any threat from the away side as they attempted to catch Forest on the break while full backs Re and Diallo frequently advanced forward to create some width to cause problems.

It took until the 35th minute for the Reds to break the deadlock after Leeds failed to clear the ball away properly from a set-piece, and Taylor controlled the bouncing ball smartly to convert from close range. That put the hosts on the front with the clock ticking on the first half, however the tides soon changed after the interval.

Attackers Sami Amissah and Moise Kroma came on in the hope of turning the match around, and the former put his side on level terms two minutes in. Lingering at the back post, the cross came in from the right and he powered home a header past Richard Dearle to set up an intriguing second-half.

Nielsen nearly put Forest back ahead as his towering presence reached a header which went frustratingly over, while Lester decided to freshen things up with the introduction of Charlie Jemson to centre back, allowing Gabriel to revert to his favoured position of right back.

But it was Leeds who grabbed the next goal as Kroma slotted into the corner from the penalty spot after a foul in the area with nine minutes remaining. Forest tried to find a route back into the game, although Kroma subsequently sealed the win four minutes from time.

The ball was given away in a dangerous position and Kroma took advantage to place the ball past Dearle into the net to consign Forest to their second defeat of the season so far.

Lester's men will be hoping to bounce back from this defeat when they host Ipswich Town at The Nigel Doughty Academy on Saturday 5 September (12pm kick-off).

Forest: Dearle, Diallo (Jemson 59'), Nielsen, Gabriel, Re, Taylor (Appiah 69'), Adams, Gamblen, Edser, Hayes, Brereton

Advertisement block