Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Brentford 2-1 Forest

21 November 2015

Nottingham Forest were beaten 2-1 at Brentford this afternoon.

The winning goal came in the 96th minute courtesy of substitute Philipp Hoffmann.

Forest dominated the vast majority of the match but found themselves 1-0 down in the second half courtesy of Sergi Canos' goal.

Brentford saw Harlee Dean sent off moments before Henri Lansbury's excellent finish put Forest level.

The odds were firmly in favour of The Reds as six minutes of added time were indicated, but it was the Bees who secured a dramatic winner.

Dougie Freedman made one change to the team that won the East Midlands derby before the international break. Jonny Williams dropped to the bench as Liam Trotter returned to the side in an advanced midfield role.

In last season's fixture at Griffin Park, young forward Tyler Walker came off the bench to score his first senior goal. He was named among Dougie Freedman's substitutes once again this time around, along with the fit-again Michael Mancienne.

After a quiet opening 15 minutes, Forest took charge of proceedings when Lansbury played the ball first-time to Jamie Ward down the right. Ward used the outside of his boot to flick the ball around his marker and into the Brentford half. He slipped it to Nelson Oliveira who headed into the area before firing the ball low towards goal. David Button was always favourite to make the save at his near post and he parried it away.

Oliveira had another opportunity to test Button two minutes later when he received the ball from Trotter, who had capitalised on a misplaced pass in Brentford's final third. The Portuguese forward checked on to his left foot before striking the ball goalwards from 20 yards. Button was once again equal to his low effort.

Brentford's first attempt at goal came from John Swift on 23 minutes but Dorus de Vries watched his 25-yarder sail harmlessly wide.

A flurry of Forest chances followed as Ryan Mendes' deflected shot led to a corner. A Brentford defender managed to get a nick on Lansbury's inswinger to divert the ball away from Hobbs and out for another corner. The Reds played this one short, working the ball to Oliveira on the edge of the area. He had his back to goal but he turned sharply and struck it powerfully towards goal. Button made an acrobatic save to tip the ball over.

Oliveira was picked out again ten minutes later as Forest sought the goal their dominance deserved. The chance came from a counter-attack, Ward taking the ball down the right and towards the corner of Brentford's area. He picked out Oliveira, who once again shifted the ball on to his left with his back to goal on the edge of the area. This time he took his time before striking it goalwards but Brentford's defenders managed to dive in the way of the ball.

With half-time approaching there was little sign of Forest slowing down. Button had to take two attempts at holding on to Ward's excellent strike, the ball swerving in the bitter wind on its way towards goal.

Oliveira was proving himself to be a constant threat and he claimed the final shot of the half when he received the ball from Mendes. The Cape Verde winger carried his run on into the middle but Oliveria opted to shoot from a tight angle. Button held on to the ball low down to send his side into the break level against the run of play.

Any fears that Forest's momentum would be halted at the break were eased on 50 minutes when strong hold-up play from Oliveira allowed him to lay the ball off for the onrushing Lansbury on halfway. Brentford's defenders backed off the midfielder, allowing him the space to shoot from 25 yards. Lansbury's effort was disappointing, however, and the ball sailed high and wide.

Two minutes later, Eric Lichaj picked out Oliveira unmarked near the penalty spot. Oliveira headed the ball into the ground and it looked destined for the net before Button dived full-stretch to his left to tip it wide.

Brentford midfielder Swift had offered his side's only hope of scoring in the first half and he took responsibility once again in the second. He was able to test de Vries this time, the ball once again moving around viciously in the blustery conditions, but the Dutchman was equal to the 20-yard effort.

Ironically, Brentford broke the deadlock minutes after Swift was replaced - the goal scored by his replacement, Canos. The Spaniard, on loan from Liverpool, pounced to score after Dean knocked the ball down for him six yards out.

Freedman reacted quickly in an attempt to get his side back on level terms - the least Forest's performance had deserved. Mendes and Trotter made way for Williams and Dexter Blackstock.

And Williams was heavily involved in the match's next big incident. Dean was penalised for a foul on Dani Pinillos and in protest of the decision held on to the ball. Williams tried to take it off him and was caught by Dean's flailing arm. The referee produced a straight red card.

Seconds after play resumed, Forest were level. Brentford failed to clear a cross from the right, presenting the ball to Lansbury. The former Arsenal man dropped his shoulder and curled it beautifully into the bottom corner from just outside the area.

Forest were well and truly back in the ascendancy, with plenty of time to find a winner. There were 12 minutes left on the clock when Lichaj burst forward from right back, reaching the edge of the area before Brentford's defenders halted his progress. The ball fell for Ward, whose low cross was met by Blackstock at the near post. The Antiguan nudged the ball across the face of goal and just wide of the far post.

De Vries still had to remain alert, however, and made an excellent save to deny Hoffmann with six minutes to play.

Lansbury had an opportunity to complete the turnaround shortly afterwards, taking charge of a dangerously positioned free-kick after Oliveira was fouled. He curled the ball towards the top corner but Button saw it all the way and held on comfortably.

Freedman's final change saw Walker replace Oliveira with three minutes of normal time remaining - but Forest were handed an additional six in which to find a winner.

It was Brentford who came within inches of scoring, however, when they struck the post with a header in the second minute of added time.

And the home side had an unlikely winner in the dying seconds. Brentford capitalised on an injury to Pinillos down the right and worked the ball into the box. It eventually came to Hoffmann whose shot, aided by a number of deflections, found the corner of the net.

Forest were unable to muster a response in the remaining seconds, losing 2-1.

Forest: De Vries, Lichaj, Mills, Hobbs, Pinillos, Trotter (Williams 67'), Vaughan, Ward, Lansbury (c), Mendes (Blackstock 68'), Oliveira (Walker 87')

Subs not used: Evtimov, Mancienne, Wilson, Osborn

Goal: Lansbury 74'

Booking: Lansbury 64'

: Button, Bidwell, Dean, McCormack, Woods, Judge (O'Connell 73'), Swift (Canos 60'), Diagouraga, Vibe (Hofmann 61'), Tarkowski, YennarisBrentford

Subs not used: Bonham, Saunders, Kerschbaumer, Gogia

Goals: Canos 63', Hofmann 90'

Booking: Woods 90+3

Sent off: Dean 71'

Referee: Brendan Malone

Attendance: 11,403 (1,633 away)

Advertisement block