Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sky is blue for Under 18s

30 August 2015

Joe Re, Kieran Hayes and Ben Brereton got on the scoresheet for Nottingham Forest's Under 18s in their 3-1 win over Coventry City on Friday.

The Reds came from behind against the Sky Blues, who had Chris Camwell sent off, to get their second win of the campaign at The Alan Higgs Centre in the West Midlands.

Three changes were made by Jack Lester following the defeat to Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday with Richard Dearle, Frederik Nielsen and Re coming in for Tim Erlandsson, Alex Iacovitti and Ryan Yates.

Gerry McDonagh, who was on the bench for last week's match against the Owls, was omitted after being called up to the first-team squad by manager Dougie Freedman.

Forest got off to a bright start and could have taken the lead within four minutes following an intricate passing move that ended with Brereton receiving a sharp pass from Tom Gamblen, but the striker saw his shot saved by keeper Corey Addai.

Liam Adams was next to have a go at goal with the visitors building from the back nicely trying to enter the opposition's half, although the winger's effort was tipped just past the post. Brereton then hustled in the box, got the ball onto his left foot and drove it towards goal which Addai was even to.

Coventry looked up for the battle too with the hosts keen to use the wings left vacant by a narrow Forest midfield, however they struggled to make the most of their forays forward.

Dearle had to make a sensational instinctive save from a close-range strike which he somehow held onto, before Jake Taylor burst forward for The Reds in their changed strip of yellow, but his shot was stopped.

Only four minutes into the second period, the West Midlands outfit were reduced to ten men following a professional foul from Camwell on Hayes who was bearing down on goal. Forest continued to plough on pushing Coventry back in their own half, but finding the killer pass and penetrating the opposition was the missing component.

On 65 minutes, Lester's men were dealt a blow when the ten men took the lead. A lapse in concentration at the back was pounced upon by Kyle Finn who just mustered enough power to get the ball beyond Dearle.

Forest's urgency increased and so did their passing as they looked to replicate their free flowing best which was on show in the recent win over Huddersfield Town. And shorty afterwards, they brought the game level.

Brereton got a shot away which Appai fumbled out anxiously and Hayes was quick to get to the loose ball and smash home. With momentum on their side, left back Re soon put the away side in front. He surged forward and received the lay-off which he powerfully thumped towards goal into the bottom corner.

Lester made his first change as Ismael Diallo was brought off for the introduction of the grafting Jake Willetts at right back who scurried around well to help defend the one-goal advantage. Taylor, Gamben and Adams worked hard in the middle to cover ground, while Hayes and Brereton harried up top.

And it was the latter who sealed the victory with Forest's fourth penalty in as many matches as he stepped up and dispatched from the spot for his fifth goal in four games, to ensure all three points were heading back to the East Midlands.

The Under 16s travelled to Coventry City's training base on Saturday and came away with an outstanding 5-0 victory to complete a great trio of results with the Under 18s and Under 21s also having a successful weekend.

Forest: Dearle, Diallo (Willetts 77'), Gabriel, Nielsen (Jemson 84'), Re, Taylor, Adams, Gamblen, Edser, Hayes, Brereton

Advertisement block