Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Matty praises coaching duo

24 November 2014

Matty Cash was thankful to coaches Jack Lester and Kevin MacDonald for 'all of their hard work' following the Under 18s' 4-1 annihilation of Crewe Alexandra on Saturday afternoon.

The attacking midfielder was one of a number of players recalled from the Under 21s to sweep the Alex aside with goals from Gerry McDonagh, Andreas Karo, Kasheme Walton and Jermaine Worthington.

Cash joined from the Football Academy of Bisham in October and despite the fluctuating results pattern of the Under 18s in the current campaign, he believes they're hitting form just at the right time.

He told "We've been working really hard every day in training and it was a great win - thanks to Kevin MacDonald, Jack Lester and all of the staff we're getting our heads down and starting to kick on.

"I've only been signed a couple of months but I've settled in well and loving every minute of it. It's going to be hard work but you want to get there [to the first team]."

It only took the Reds five minutes to get on the scoresheet at the Nigel Doughty Academy and Oliver Burke, in his first appearance for the Under 18s since his Capital One Cup third-round cameo against Tottenham Hotspur, had a vital role to play.

The winger worked well down the right and delivered an excellently curled ball in for McDonagh to delicately direct towards the corner of the net for his second goal in as many games.

The hosts were looking sharper, wiser and hungrier in possession in the opening stages and continued to create.

Karo came close to doubling the lead but his header was saved well by Callan Ainley, and Jack Kelly nearly notched from a free-kick. Forest continued to press but the drama of the first half was saved up for the final few moments.

Burke brought the ball exceptionally down from the air but was controversially adjudged to have fouled his marker in doing so, and it was left to keeper Richard Dearle to make an outstanding penalty save from Joe Howell's effort to maintain his side's lead.

Crewe came out of the blocks in the second half with a bang and quickly had a leveller, working the ball neatly leading to a comfortable tap-in for Jonathan Higham. The introduction of Kasheme Walton brought Forest back to life and from then on it was exhibition football and goals aplenty.

Kelly's left foot proved to be the nettle that stung the visitors and Karo was grateful for his set-piece service, heading in a fine corner from the left-back to regain the lead.

Shifting Luke Thomas to the left-wing and allowing Walton to be his usual nuisance up front worked a treat and it was the latter who got the third. McDonagh unselfishly grafted on the wing and crafted a tremendous ball for Walton who headed in.

Forest's superiority was there for all to see and they added a fourth and final goal a couple of minutes from time. Kelly was once again the provider with a teasing tee-up that substitute Jermaine Worthington was grateful to glide onto from six yards out to put the ribbons on a superb performance.

There was still time for McDonagh to come close to adding his second of the day and Forest's fifth, but the Irishman was denied by the outside of the post after a quick breakaway and crashing strike.

Cash and his teammates will be searching for their third win in four games when they play host to Sheffield Wednesday in their next game on Saturday (29 November), 11am kick-off.

Forest: Dearle, Yates, Worrall, Karo, Kelly, O Burke (Worthington 80'), Crookes, Cash, Burns (Walton 54'), Thomas, McDonagh

Advertisement block