Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wilson Returns To Action

7 March 2014

Kelvin Wilson returned to action for the first time in five months as he played 45 minutes in Nottingham Forest's Under 21s' 1-0 win at Coventry City this afternoon.

Ryan Sellars' second goal in as many matches secured all three points for Charlie McParland's men as Wilson got in some all-important game time ahead of his long-awaited return from a back injury.

Coventry manager Steven Pressley was amongst the crowd at Northampton Town's Sixfields Stadium and The Sky Blues had the first chance after only two minutes but Ryan Haynes curled his free-kick over the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area.

The opening half was a cagey affair and despite Forest's excellent passing football, another opportunity fell to the home side on 34 minutes. Good interplay between Ivor Lawton and Ben Maund set up Ryan Smith just outside the box but he sent an effort over Ross Durrant's goal.

It was to remain goalless at the break after Smith played in George Thomas on the edge of the box but the striker sent his low shot wide of the target.

Wilson had enjoyed a good first-half run-out which included a number of crunching tackles and crucial interceptions but he was replaced by Joe Worrall at the interval.

The hosts had had their fair share of chances but it was The Reds who stole an advantage four minutes into the second half. Jack Blake played a short corner to the edge of the box where Stephen McLaughlin sent in a powerful effort. Coventry goalkeeper Lee Burge produced a good stop but Sellars was on hand to tuck the ball into the net.

Thomas was proving to be a real handful for the Forest defence and he was denied a world-class equaliser on 64 minutes. His sweetly-struck right-footed volley beat Durrant all ends up but cannoned off the far post and away to safety.

Coventry were in desperate search of an equaliser and should have been level on 74 minutes. Sellars' miskick allowed Thomas to escape down the right-hand channel and although his pull-back was inch-perfect for James Maddison, the substitute blazed well wide of he target.

Forest could have sewn up the victory with eight minutes to play but Blake was unfortunate to see his curling 25-yard free-kick head millimetres over the crossbar.

In the end it wasn't to matter though as The Reds held on to claim all three points in the Northampton sunshine.

Team: Durrant, Polimos, Gutmy, Schoenecker (Mulraney 40'), Wilson (Worrall 46'), Sellars, Blake, Rees, Walker, Petravicius, McLaughlin
Subs not used: Kamaneno, Hollingsworth, Elliott
Scorer: Sellars 49'

Advertisement block