Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Walton wows in Wednesday win

1 December 2014

Two-goal hero Kasheme Walton hailed Nottingham Forest's Under 18s' striking prowess following their 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday afternoon.

Walton's double and a Luke Thomas goal ensured the three points at the Nigel Doughty Academy and the former spoke in relief after the game.

He told "At the start of the season I was a little bit disappointed with myself. I was injured, out of form and needed a run of games.

"Pretty much every morning Jack Lester gets myself, Gerry McDonagh and Luke Thomas practicing our heading at the near and far post and you can see that we're learning from it, playing really well and getting our rewards," he added after his third and fourth headed goals of the month.

Kevin MacDonald and Lester made two changes to the side that beat Crewe Alexandra 4-1 last weekend with Alex Iacovitti and Walton replacing Joe Worrall and Oliver Burke.

Newly-available Tim Erlandsson made the bench after completing the formalities of his loan from Halmstads BK, unable to displace Richard Dearle between the sticks after his penalty heroics last week.

Forest's high-intensity game surprised the visitors from the outset as Walton teed up Thomas for the first opportunity of the game, with the leading goalscorer failing to make clean contact inside the area.

McDonagh was the next to go close but was unable to to divert the ball cleverly into the net when the ball fell awkwardly at knee-height.

The Reds were dominant but it was it was Wednesday who got the opening goal after an individual error at the back. Andreas Karo attempted to spread the play, not noticing the sneaky Mason Duffy bearing down on him, who intercepted to stride through and place in.

The hosts continued their dominance until the break but had nothing to show for it, until the closing moments of the first half when they got the leveller.

Jack Kelly delivered one of his outstanding trademark free-kicks that beat everyone to reach Walton at the back post, who stayed cool to nod home.

Only six minutes into the second half, the pass of the game led to Forest taking the lead. Matty Cash collected the ball on the cusp of the centre circle and judged the weight of his pass exquisitely for Walton who anticipated well to head his second of the game.

Forest had the momentum but it wasn't long before their tails were temporarily curved between their legs, as the visitors grabbed another goal when a well-crafted move was tapped in by Warren Clarke.

It was a day of fantastic crosses for MacDonald's side and the trend continued to give them a thoroughly deserved third and final goal. Ryan Yates picked up the ball in a pocket of space, looked up and lofted brilliantly towards the predatory Thomas who threw his head at it to regain the lead.

Forest worked tirelessly from back to front to hang on to their third win in four games, and subject Sheffield Wednesday to only their second defeat in nine.

The result represents a marked improvement in the direction under MacDonald and Lester's stewardship, after the same age group suffered a heavy loss at the latter end of last season against the same opposition.

The Reds next face a trip to Huddersfield Town on Saturday (6 December), 11.30am kick-off.

It will be their final game before they face Milton Keynes Dons in the FA Youth Cup third round on Tuesday (16 December) at The City Ground.

Forest: Dearle, Yates, Karo, Iacovitti, Kelly, Burns (E Otim 78'), Cash, Crookes, Thomas, Walton (Worthington 77'), McDonagh

Advertisement block