Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burke nets again for Under 18s

22 August 2014

Nottingham Forest Under 18s fell to a frustrating 2-1 defeat at Barnsley this afternoon.

Despite dominating in large spells and taking the lead through a second-half Oliver Burke penalty, their South Yorkshire opponents found a clinical edge to see the game through.

The encounter was all one way traffic in the first period, and Forest's failure to capitalise came back to bite them.

Tyler Walker started up-front for Jack Lester's men and wasted no time making an impact, forcing Barnsley's back four into errors to set the tone for the half.

Joe Worrall had the first real chance of the game, but his scuffed shot following a Tom Gamblen havoc-causing corner was cleared off the line.

Pacey left-winger Luke Thomas was next to go close. His mazy run was too much for the panic-stricken Barnsley defence to handle and his composed shot trickled inches wide.

The hosts struggled to cope with Forest's firepower, mustering enough organisation to somehow contain The Reds.

Burke and Walker both had glorious opportunities to open the scoring as frustrations started to grow.

The fear that the half-time break would dampen Forest's momentum was quickly wiped away, as they finally got their reward.

Burke's ambitious run unnerved the Barnsley defence and the right-winger was brought down blatantly.

The in-form man, searching for his second goal of the week following a goal for the U21s on Monday afternoon, sent the keeper the wrong way and wheeled away in celebration.

Barnsley immediately pegged Forest back, with one of their only spells of possession in the match.

A free-kick 25 yards out was the sighter Matty Templeton needed, and he convincingly smashed home to level the scoreline.

Confidence began to seep through the Barnsley camp, and they rapidly took the lead.  Bilel Kassouri raced clear and kept his composure to slide the ball past Joe Boyd to stun onlookers.

The introduction of Gerry McDonagh was the instigator for Forest to continue to plough with purpose towards the opposition goal.

The physical striker showed a turn of speed to get into the box and his placed effort look destined for the net, without the intervention of last-ditch defending on the line.

Burke was once again involved for The Reds, but he couldn't get enough contact on Ryan Yates' superb free-kick.

Worrall had the final opportunity as time ticked away. His 25-yard bullet had the keeper worried at full-stretch, who was grateful to see it whistle wide of the post.

Lester's men next face Ipswich Town at the Nigel Doughty Academy, Saturday August 30 (12pm kick off)

Forest: Boyd, Worthington, Worrall, Iacovitti, Kelly, Burke, Crookes, Yates, Thomas (Austin 58'), Gamblen (McDonagh 69'), Walker

Advertisement block