Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

AFC Bournemouth 1-2 Forest

19 August 2014

Nottingham Forest secured an impressive 2-1 victory away at AFC Bournemouth this evening.

Britt Assombalonga scored his third goal in two games to level the scores after Callum Wilson had fired the hosts into the lead.  

And it was left to Matty Fryatt to notch the winner, and his first goal for the club, with a powerful header.  

Stuart Pearce made two changes to the side which drew at Bolton on Saturday.  

Michael Mancienne, who was suspended for the Macron trip, took his place alongside Jack Hobbs in central defence. Danny Fox slotted in at left back and Dan Harding dropped to the bench.  

Eric Lichaj was also handed a start, Jack Hunt having to settle for a place among the substitutes.  

The hosts began the brighter of the two sides and on 12 minutes claimed the first notable chance of the game. 

Adam Smith made strides down the right and brought a solid save out of Karl Darlow.  

Bournemouth came within inches of opening the scoring in unorthodox fashion three minutes later, Matt Ritchie rattling the ball off the far post with a free-kick from the right. Fox then had to be alert to block a well-struck effort from the edge of the area.  

Forest were struggling to get a foothold in the game and Darlow was called into action again on 23 minutes as Ritchie raced down the right. The keeper narrowed the angle and pushed the ball out for a corner after the winger struck it towards goal.  

Pearce’s men carved out their best chance of the half on 39 minutes when Michail Antonio showed great pace down the left. His cross was excellent but Assombalonga couldn’t direct his header on target.  

Bournemouth responded immediately and Forest once again had Darlow to thank for keeping the scores level. Smith played an excellent one-two in the area and Darlow, again at his near post, spread himself well to make a brilliant save.  

There were two Forest changes at the break as Fox made way for Hunt, Lichaj switching to left back, and Ben Osborn replaced Antonio. Andy Reid moved in behind Assombalonga and Fryatt went out to the left.  

The second half began in similar fashion to the first with The Cherries in control, and the home side had the lead their play deserved on 58 minutes.  

A looping ball in the area caused confusion in Forest’s defence and, after a mad scramble near the goal line, Wilson stroked the ball into the net.  

Chances had been few and far between for The Reds but they had an equaliser nine minutes later.  

Assombalonga won a free-kick in the left-hand corner and found enough space in the middle to head the ball home from Reid’s subsequent free-kick.  

Forest’s tails were up and on 70 minutes had a half-chance to take the lead after Chris Cohen persevered to dig out a cross on the left edge of the area. Fryatt failed to generate significant contact on the ball with his head and Bournemouth cleared the danger.  

But Fryatt’s frustrations were shelved two minutes later as he headed his side into the lead.  

Hunt did brilliantly to get to the byline, dinking a teasing cross high over former Forest keeper Lee Camp’s head and over to the back post. Fryatt met the ball from close range, powering it into the back of the net.  

The game was now evenly poised, a point typified by the half-chances both sides had in the 82nd minute.   

First, Reid let the ball bounce from Assombalonga’s knock down before dipping the ball a couple of yards over Camp’s crossbar. The Cherries then countered and half the ground were up celebrating prematurely when substitute Marc Pugh’s shot struck the side-netting after the ball deflected off a Forest man.  

There was another chance for Reid two minutes later, the Irishman shifting the ball on to his right foot neatly in a tight situation on the edge of Bournemouth’s area. He struck the ball sweetly but Camp held on low down.  

Reid was replaced by Stephen McLaughlin as four minutes of added time were indicated.  

Assombalonga came close to putting the game beyond doubt shortly after play resumed, twisting and turning his way into the area and shooting. A Cherries defender did brilliantly to divert the ball into the side-netting.  

But it wasn’t to matter as Forest hung on to a valuable three points on the south coast.

Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Hobbs, Mancienne, Fox (Hunt 46'), Burke, Cohen, Reid (McLaughlin 90'), Antonio (Osborn 46'), Fryatt, Assombalonga 

Subs not used: De Vries, Harding, Paterson, Veldwijk  

Bookings: Fox (36'), Hunt (64')

Scorers: Assombalonga (67'), Fryatt (72')

Bournemouth: Camp, Smith, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie (Pugh 76'), Arter (Rantie 80'), O'Kane, Stanislas (Fraser 76'), Kermorgant, Wilson
Subs not used: Flahavan, Cargill, Harte, Gosling

Bookings: Ritchie (65'), Cook (92')

Scorer: Wilson (58')

Attendance: 10,768 (1,340 away)

Referee: Kevin Friend

Advertisement block