Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Forest 3-3 Sheffield Wednesday

8 April 2014

Ten-man Nottingham Forest produced a scintillating comeback to draw 3-3 with Sheffield Wednesday at The City Ground this evening.

Jamie Mackie cancelled out Chris Maguire's early penalty but goals from Lewis Buxton and Joe Mattock had appeared to set Wednesday on the road to victory.
Marcus Tudgay reduced the deficit but after Reds skipper Danny Collins had been shown a red card, the game looked up for Forest.
But Jamie Paterson curled home a superb free-kick with only three minutes to play to ensure The Reds would take home a point.
Gary Brazil made four changes to the side beaten by Millwall at the weekend. Jamaal Lascelles returned from suspension and moved straight into the starting line-up, Henri Lansbury made his first start in over two months while there were recalls to the side for Matt Derbyshire and Darius Henderson in attack. Greg Halford, Jonathan Greening and Ben Osborn dropped to the bench while Radoslaw Majewski and Kelvin Wilson missed out altogether.
Aiming to respond to Saturday's defeat, The Reds began the game with a good tempo and were quicker to the ball than their visitors. Dan Harding whipped a swinging cross into the area early on but Derbyshire couldn't get enough purchase on the ball to turn it home.
Lansbury then became the first name in the referee's notebook as he was retrospectively booked for bringing down Jeremy Helan as the winger raced into the Forest half.
Wednesday were looking to break a run which hadn't seen them win at The City Ground since 2001 and grabbed the advantage after quarter of an hour. Danny Collins dived in and upended Maguire inside the area and the striker stepped up to smash home his 8th goal of the season past an outstretched Karl Darlow.
Sensing that luck could again be going against them, Forest sought to find a quick response. Derbyshire and Mackie combined superbly down the left-hand channel but the former's shot from just outside the six-yard box was well blocked by Wednesday keeper Chris Kirkland.
Forest's enthusiasm to get back into the game saw Lascelles booked on 26 minutes. Maguire escaped a couple of tackles in front of The Brian Clough Stand before the defender caught him with a late challenge and referee Scott Duncan again produced his yellow card.
Mackie soon followed his teammate onto the rapidly growing list of bookings. After losing the ball inside the Wednesday area the forward slid in to retrieve the situation but only succeeded in bringing down Joe Mattock and a caution was issued.
The Reds were struggling to create any clear-cut goalscoring opportunities but Jamie Paterson did have a sight of goal shortly before the interval. The winger skipped his way past two challenges on the edge of the visitors' penalty area but his low shot didn't have the requisite power or direction to beat Kirkland.
Mr Duncan wasn't afraid of putting his hand into his pocket and this time the visitors were on the receiving end. Antonio was booked for a foul inside the Forest half before Mattock saw yellow for hauling down Mackie as the Forest man raced towards the Wednesday penalty area.
It wasn't long before Forest found their equaliser however. Paterson worked himself into space on the left wing before delivering a pinpoint cross onto the head of Mackie who nodded past Kirkland from six yards out to the delight of the City Ground faithful.
But the momentum didn't last for Gary Brazil's side as Wednesday regained the lead in first-half stoppage time. Maguire sent a devilish in-swinging corner into the six-yard box and Buxton was on hand to bundle the ball home from two yards out to send the visitors into the break with the advantage.
There were no changes for either side at the break but Forest were soon on the front foot. Paterson fed Lansbury 25 yards from goal but the returning midfielder could only send his low effort narrowly wide of Kirkland's left-hand post.
For all Forest's bright start to the second half, Wednesday delivered a killer blow on 57 minutes. A cleverly-worked short corner was played out to Mattock and, in acres of space, the full-back took his time before drilling a low shot into the bottom corner of Darlow's net.
Gary Brazil responded by making his opening change of the night as Marcus Tudgay came on for his first appearance of the season in a Forest shirt as he replaced Darius Henderson.
Forest were desperately seeking a way back into the game and soon had a penalty appeal turned down. Derbyshire went down inside the area under the challenge of Llera but referee Duncan waved away the home side's protests for a spot-kick.
As The Reds pushed for a second goal, Wednesday were proving dangerous at the other end. Maguire swung in another excellent corner which Llera met powerfully but the defender's header soared over Darlow's crossbar and out for a goal-kick.
Neat and tidy football was all Forest could muster but they almost pressed the self-destruct button on 74 minutes. Darlow's short pass out from his area didn't reach Gonzalo Jara but after Helan picked the ball up and ran at The Reds' defence, the winger sent a stinging shot over the bar and into The Trent End.
Halford was thrown on to replace Jara and within a minute Forest had a goal back. Mackie produced a fine piece of work to take the ball from his man in the right-hand channel. He stood up an excellent cross to the back post where Tudgay was arriving to head home his first Forest goal of the season.
With momentum now on their side Forest shot themselves in the foot. Collins brought down his man cynically on the halfway line and was shown his second yellow card of the game leaving his side to play the final ten minutes of the game with ten men.
In an attempt to find the all-important third goal, Brazil made his final change of the night as Osborn replaced Lansbury for the last seven minutes of the contest.
And with only three minutes of normal time remaining, Forest completed their stunning ten-man comeback. Paterson stepped up and curled an exquisite 25-yard free-kick past an unmoved Kirkland to stun the visiting fans behind the goal and send The City Ground into raptures.
Paterson almost produced another moment of magic in stoppage time as he evaded four challenges. The youngster's shot flashed just wide of Kirkland's far post as the referee ended a magnificent night of entertainment on Trentside.

Forest: Darlow, Jara (Halford 76'), Lascelles, Collins(c), Harding, Mackie, Peltier, Lansbury (Osborn 83'), Paterson, Derbyshire, Henderson (Tudgay 61')
Subs not used: De Vries, Gomis, Greening, Cox
Scorers: Mackie 44', Tudgay 76', Paterson 87'
Bookings: Lansbury 14', Lascelles 25', Mackie 34', Collins 55'
Sent off: Collins 79' (second bookable offence)

Sheffield Wednesday: Kirland, Buxton, Antonio (Lavery 71'), Coke, Helan (Nuhui 83'), Maguire, Mattock, Lee, Palmer, Llera, Best
Subs not used: Martinez, Johnson, Taylor, Corry, Afobe
Scorers: Maguire (pen) 15', Buxton 45', Mattock 57'
Bookings: Antonio 38', Mattock 41', Helan 77'

Referee: Scott Duncan
Attendance: 20,185 (Away: 1,788)

Advertisement block